is the Sennheiser G4me One headset worth it?

Jaiden Navarrete

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015
FIRST OFF: This is for Xbox One gaming and ps4 gaming. Ive read a lot of threads talking about using a blue snowball, which I think is a great idea, but I don't want to (even if it was possible) mess with a bunch of cords on my xbox/ps4.

And before the console haters come out :p I have a different set up for my PC.

Thanks!

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that I was going to buy them new for $179, not $270 or whatever it was.

Solution
the 518/558/598/game one should all sound about the same as they are all of similar design (varying build quality and a few minor things) based around the same drivers. i often suggest the 558 over the 518 since it comes with slightly nicer earpads and build quality but in terms of audio they are very similar.

the xbone and ps4 only have a 3.5mm jack on the controller. the sennheiser cable is nothing special (and can be had for much cheaper). its just a basic 4pole to 2x 3pole adapter (commonly called a headset adapter by many stores). one side has your typical pink and green jacks while the other is a 4pole combined jack.

i would suggest an amplifier in between your headphones and the adapter (Y adapter -> amp ->headphones) while the...
they are only worthwhile if you like the convenience and styling of an all in one headset.

they are based on the hd518/558/598 lineup. all of them use the hd518's drivers but have varying build quality as you go up in price.

you can easily nab a hd518 ($72) or hd558 ($114), pair up with a modmic ($43-50) and come under the price of the game one. i would also suggest an amplifier if you are using them with console out of the controller (its possible to get one for under budget if you went hd518+modmic+amp).

if you do not want any cables going to your controller, things become more tricky - involving special adapters since consoles are not designed to input and output 3.5mm directly from the box. likely to force feed you peripherals, but its a dumb choice on their part.

Jaiden Navarrete

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015

Cool. Well two things:
are the hd558 and hd518 better audio quality than the Game one? (also are they the same as the gameone as in open ear and comfortable for long gaming sessions?)

And second, the xbox one and ps4 have 3.5mm jack and there is a sennheiser adapter that takes the two 3.5mm and make it 3.5mm. Will that also work with the other ones you suggested or will it be more complicated?

Thanks!

the 518/558/598/game one should all sound about the same as they are all of similar design (varying build quality and a few minor things) based around the same drivers. i often suggest the 558 over the 518 since it comes with slightly nicer earpads and build quality but in terms of audio they are very similar.

the xbone and ps4 only have a 3.5mm jack on the controller. the sennheiser cable is nothing special (and can be had for much cheaper). its just a basic 4pole to 2x 3pole adapter (commonly called a headset adapter by many stores). one side has your typical pink and green jacks while the other is a 4pole combined jack.

i would suggest an amplifier in between your headphones and the adapter (Y adapter -> amp ->headphones) while the microphone just goes straight to the adapter. the fiio a3, e10k, e11, e12 or e09k are fine for this. you could likely even likely get by with an e6 although i'd suggest at least the a3.

i'd suggest an amplifier even with the game one. any decent headphones are going to sound like crud directly connected to the console controllers. this is why even some "gaming headsets" have amps (like mixamp for astros).

Solution

Jaiden Navarrete

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015

I really appreciate your help! I think I'm just going to go with the Game one for the compactness. However I was wondering if you could help me with the set up. i'm trying to imagine how many wires I will have and where they are going.

So I will have the headphones plugged into the amp then into the controller, but what does the amp plug into? And how much will this affect my mobility with my controller? (For example my Turtle beaches just plug into my controller and I can go where I want.)

ps4 controller -> headset adapter

headset adapter (mic side) -> mic connection on game one.

headset adapter (headphone side) -> male to male 3.5mm cable (bought) -> input on amplifier -> headphone input.

the only thing you should need cable-wise are a 3.5mm male to male cable and a headphone adapter cable.

mobility depends on the cable lengths you buy. a short headset adapter and cables hanging off of it may affect mobility a little while a longer one less so. if it was ever a problem, you could always get a male to female extension cable and add it before the splitter to relocate the splitter further away and on the desk instead of right at the controller.

to do this from the get-go you could just get a male to female 4pole to 4pole cable say..3 or 4 feet long (or however long you think it needs to be) then get a solid headset adapter (instead of the cable kind, although cable kind would also work) then connect the amp to the headphone side with a very short 3.5mm male to male cable since you dont really need length.

you're still going to have at least 1 cable hanging off the controller, but this is a bit less bulky than having a Y right at the controller.