Question Need help to buy a new headset ( urgent, old headset broke :'( )

Noxeal

Great
Feb 26, 2019
Hello,
That's now 3 days my old Logitech G230 headset broke, and I would like to buy another one.
I've already bought the Sennheiser Game Zero, but I returned it, because it has literally no bass.
I want to use it for gaming ( all types of games ) and also listening music.
I know there's already a lot of threads like this, but I want an headset with good bass ( not like the game zero, where I couldn't hear/feel basses at all ).
I do still think that Sennheiser headsets are really good, since everyone around me says so ^^'.
So I would need recommendations : I don't know if the Logitech G230 was an opened or closed headset, because I don't really realise what is the difference between these two. Even tho I know that with an opened one you hear people and you don't with a closed one.
I also really don't like hearing myself talking like I was with the Game Zero.
So, I would need some help choosing a headset, and my budget is at ~200€ ( I can go a bit higher if it's for really good quality, but please help, that's already 3 days I haven't stopped searching :c ).
Thanks,
Noxeal

Oh, and, I've also heard about Beyerdynamic, but the headset I found needed a really good dac and I don't want to spend that much money ( it was the DT 990 PRO )

Last edited:

Dizahsin (Dion)

Banned
BANNED
Feb 26, 2019
Hello, Noxeal! If you want the best of gaming headsets under 200 & 100, here are some great options.

If you like Logitech, then try the NEW Logitech G935 Wireless 7.1 Surround LIGHTSYNC Gaming Headset, a good (and cheaper) replacement to its older brother, the Logitech G933 Wireless 7.1 RBG (175.68 Euro). The G935 starts out for 149.33 Euro, but may go on sale as time progresses. You can also try the NEW Logitech G635 7.1 LIGHTSYNC Gaming Headset, its younger brother. The price starts out for a good 122.97 Euro, and again, could go down on sale anytime. Stick to this one, though, if you’re used to wires, or just don’t like charging your headset. For cheap instances, you can switch to the G231 and G233 Prodigy, a very similar replacement for the G230, going for 60.61 Euro and 69.40 Euro. If you’re willing to take bets to around 87.85 Euro, try the G Pro, an insane 78.15 Euro headset. Last but not least, the G433, for 87.85 Euro.

If you’re into sound AND NOTHING ELSE, try the Kingston HyperX Cloud Alpha, a great choice for music. Although it’s not very respondent in the Highs, it’s incredible for gaming sessions, and the bass is insane (in insane, I mean exciting good.) Again, it’s currently 87.85 Euros.

If you’re into wireless gaming, try the CORSAIR VOID PRO RGB WIRELESS headset. Wireless, Surround Sound, Dual Antennas, High on the Mids and Lows, what else? Nah, it’s 87.85 Euro, but occasionally goes on sale.

I hope this helped you picking your headset.
P.S. I would really recommend the G Pro and the G635 Artemis Spectrum, they are my favorite picks from the list.
Thank you for reading!

Side note: Some headphones may not be available in your country.

Last edited:

Noxeal

Great
Feb 26, 2019
Hello, Noxeal! If you want the best of gaming headsets under 200 & 100, here are some great options.

If you like Logitech, then try the NEW Logitech G935 Wireless 7.1 Surround LIGHTSYNC Gaming Headset, a good (and cheaper) replacement to its older brother, the Logitech G933 Wireless 7.1 RBG (175.68 Euro). The G935 starts out for 149.33 Euro, but may go on sale as time progresses. You can also try the NEW Logitech G635 7.1 LIGHTSYNC Gaming Headset, its younger brother. The price starts out for a good 122.97 Euro, and again, could go down on sale anytime. Stick to this one, though, if you’re used to wires, or just don’t like charging your headset. For cheap instances, you can switch to the G231 and G233 Prodigy, a very similar replacement for the G230, going for 60.61 Euro and 69.40 Euro. If you’re willing to take bets to around 87.85 Euro, try the G Pro, an insane 78.15 Euro headset. Last but not least, the G433, for 87.85 Euro.

If you’re into sound AND NOTHING ELSE, try the Kingston HyperX Cloud Alpha, a great choice for music. Although it’s not very respondent in the Highs, it’s incredible for gaming sessions, and the bass is insane (in insane, I mean exciting good.) Again, it’s currently 87.85 Euros.

If you’re into wireless gaming, try the CORSAIR VOID PRO RGB WIRELESS headset. Wireless, Surround Sound, Dual Antennas, High on the Mids and Lows, what else? Nah, it’s 87.85 Euro, but occasionally goes on sale.

I hope this helped you picking your headset.
P.S. I would really recommend the G Pro and the G635 Artemis Spectrum, they are my favorite picks from the list.
Thank you for reading!

Side note: Some headphones may not be available in your country.
Hey,
Thanks for your answer.
At the moment i'm more looking at some headsets like the Beyerdynamic DT770/990 or Sennheiser one, because I don't really want a "gaming headset" since I already have a blue yeti as microphone ^^

Hey,
Thanks for your answer.
At the moment i'm more looking at some headsets like the Beyerdynamic DT770/990 or Sennheiser one, because I don't really want a "gaming headset" since I already have a blue yeti as microphone ^^

So you don't want a "headset" you want a headphone, headsets include a mic. Audio-Technica ATH-M40x are great for about 100 if you want to save some money, or one of the ones you listed. Just keep an eye out for the ohm rating, the higher ones will need an amp to drive the headphones properly.

Really it can be hard to tell the good $100 headphones and higher end ones without listening to them back to back over time, and not everyone will like the higher end stuff even then. ATH-M40 should be plenty for you, and they are known for having a good low end.

Noxeal

Great
Feb 26, 2019
So you don't want a "headset" you want a headphone, headsets include a mic. Audio-Technica ATH-M40x are great for about 100 if you want to save some money, or one of the ones you listed. Just keep an eye out for the ohm rating, the higher ones will need an amp to drive the headphones properly.

Really it can be hard to tell the good $100 headphones and higher end ones without listening to them back to back over time, and not everyone will like the higher end stuff even then. ATH-M40 should be plenty for you, and they are known for having a good low end.

Thanks for your reply !
Are they still good for in game positionning and footsteps hearing ? I don't play fps a lot, but that's still a need in my opinion ^^
And are they also good for watching movies and animes ?
EDIT : I've heard the DT770 / 990 had too much treble and not enough bass, what do you think ?
And also, don't you have a good open back model ?

Last edited:

daustin792

Great
Feb 4, 2019
Yeah, I think what you are looking for is more of an audiophile / studio headphone. Like the other reply said, a headSET includes a boom mic usually.

I was using these for quite a while. I mean they are no multi speaker surround sound headphone, but did okay. They don't have pounding bass, but it's more than some headphones. My one complaint is that sound sometimes seems like it's lacking treble, but overall they have treated me well for playing games and music. Especially for the low price.

I think this video from Linus Tech Tips is a good one about surround sound headphones. There are a few reviews out there that he has done.

One thing to keep in mind is that USB headphones are never going to work for music on a device without a USB port. 3.5mm headphone is popular still, but is getting replaced by USB C slowly. It's possible that USB C headphones exist, though I have not seen them before. Plus there is the wireless aspect. Some headphones have their own receivers while others work via bluetooth. I think the receiver ones are designed to be a little better generally.

Overall: Senheiser and Audio Technica make well known music headphones. Sony isn't so bad either. Bayer is another one I have heard good about. All you can do is keep asking people for input about what they like, then try to decide yourself. You may want to go to an audiophile forum and ask them as well.

Noxeal

Great
Feb 26, 2019
Yeah, I think what you are looking for is more of an audiophile / studio headphone. Like the other reply said, a headSET includes a boom mic usually.

I was using these for quite a while. I mean they are no multi speaker surround sound headphone, but did okay. They don't have pounding bass, but it's more than some headphones. My one complaint is that sound sometimes seems like it's lacking treble, but overall they have treated me well for playing games and music. Especially for the low price.

I think this video from Linus Tech Tips is a good one about surround sound headphones. There are a few reviews out there that he has done.

One thing to keep in mind is that USB headphones are never going to work for music on a device without a USB port. 3.5mm headphone is popular still, but is getting replaced by USB C slowly. It's possible that USB C headphones exist, though I have not seen them before. Plus there is the wireless aspect. Some headphones have their own receivers while others work via bluetooth. I think the receiver ones are designed to be a little better generally.

Overall: Senheiser and Audio Technica make well known music headphones. Sony isn't so bad either. Bayer is another one I have heard good about. All you can do is keep asking people for input about what they like, then try to decide yourself. You may want to go to an audiophile forum and ask them as well.

Thanks for your reply !
I've already posted a thread on an audiophile forum ^^
Can you have a look at this video and tell me what you think ?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9e66rbzMv4

By the way, don't forget it's for music ( all kinds, but a lot of bassy stuff like edm, rock,... ) , gaming ( all types of games like brawlhalla, rocket league, cs:go, osu and more ) and animes so it must be good on everything :3
After watching the video of this guy i'm more leaning towards DT 990, but I would like your opinion ^^

EDIT : I also think I would prefer open back, to hear when my mom is calling me for example, cuz it happens a lot xD

D

Deleted member 217926

Many people find the DT990 to be excessively bright so try before you buy if possible. The 80ohm DT770s are generally well liked.

There's always the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD58X as well. 150ohm and a little harder to drive but they're about the best bang for your buck from Sennheiser. The HD6XX ( HD 650 ) might actually be a better value but you need an amp and not really a cheap one to get the most out of those.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones

D

Deleted member 217926

Just noticed you're in the UK. The Philips Fidelio X2 should be available over there within your budget. It's generally a little more expensive here in the US. It's a great choice as well.

Noxeal

Great
Feb 26, 2019
Just noticed you're in the UK. The Philips Fidelio X2 should be available over there within your budget. It's generally a little more expensive here in the US. It's a great choice as well.

I'm in France, not in the UK. I don't know where I could try dt990 or dt770, but I don't think that will be possible.. I would have loved to do it tho..
By the way, if you ever tried the G230, I would have liked something with the same amount of bass, so maybe the dt770.. but I prefer open backs.
Any idea, in France if possible ? ( you can also recommend a headphone + amp / dac combo for ~200 euros, or an amp to get good bass out of dt770 )
And what do you think of the dt770 250 Ohms ?
Thanks for your reply ^^

daustin792

Great
Feb 4, 2019
Thanks for your reply !
I've already posted a thread on an audiophile forum ^^
Can you have a look at this video and tell me what you think ?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9e66rbzMv4

By the way, don't forget it's for music ( all kinds, but a lot of bassy stuff like edm, rock,... ) , gaming ( all types of games like brawlhalla, rocket league, cs:go, osu and more ) and animes so it must be good on everything :3
After watching the video of this guy i'm more leaning towards DT 990, but I would like your opinion ^^

EDIT : I also think I would prefer open back, to hear when my mom is calling me for example, cuz it happens a lot xD

Noise cancelling headphones are nice and offer good sound, although open designs often are said to produce a more natural sound from what I have heard. I have also heard open designs are prone to sound bleed or people overhearing what you are listening to. Plus they let in more sound.

That video seems pretty good. The guy covers a lot of different considerations. Overall if you can try a few headphones before buying that is key. Comfort is one thing that you never truly know until you wear them.

D

Deleted member 217926

The Fidelio X2 should be available cheaper in Europe in general. It's worth looking for to see if you can find it in your price range.

The Sony MDR1A might be available in your price range as well. No amp needed with either the Fidelio or Sony.

Most people tend to like the 80ohm DT770s over the 32ohm and 250ohm.

I have not tried the G230 or any of the 'gaming' headsets really. I judge bass by my TH-X00s. It's very very good. :)

Noxeal

Great
Feb 26, 2019
Noise cancelling headphones are nice and offer good sound, although open designs often are said to produce a more natural sound from what I have heard. I have also heard open designs are prone to sound bleed or people overhearing what you are listening to. Plus they let in more sound.

That video seems pretty good. The guy covers a lot of different considerations. Overall if you can try a few headphones before buying that is key. Comfort is one thing that you never truly know until you wear them.

And what about Vmoda-M100 vs Dt770 pro vs dt990 pro for that kind of musics :
dubstep, house/progressive, electropop,.. and also animes openings :3
Here are some examples of musics I love to listen to, to give you an idea :
( ikr the last 2 ones are stupid ^^ )
And much more in this kind..
And also for gaming ( mmos, games like brawlhalla, rocket league, csgo and stuff like that ), and animes ( and sometimes movies, but I almost only watch animes)
Thanks

Noxeal

Great
Feb 26, 2019
The Fidelio X2 should be available cheaper in Europe in general. It's worth looking for to see if you can find it in your price range.

The Sony MDR1A might be available in your price range as well. No amp needed with either the Fidelio or Sony.

Most people tend to like the 80ohm DT770s over the 32ohm and 250ohm.

I have not tried the G230 or any of the 'gaming' headsets really. I judge bass by my TH-X00s. It's very very good. :)

For the Fidelio X2, it's 400-500€ minimum.. I can't take that ^^

D

Deleted member 217926

The 80ohm DT770s. Many people find the 990s too bright. Don't really know anything about the VModa

Noxeal

Great
Feb 26, 2019
The 80ohm DT770s. Many people find the 990s too bright. Don't really know anything about the VModa

I think I'll go for the DT 770 Pro 80 Ohms, but should I go for the Studio or the Monitor version ??
And would a Fiio E10K be good enough ? ( if I need an amp ) Or do you have a better idea ( average 100€ ) ?