Is there a headset that ISN'T Super Quiet? (Microphone input)

Eleventy 49

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014
For Christmas this year I received a Kingston Hyper X Cloud headset, and while it was nice, the microphone input was way to quiet to understand anything that could be said. So we returned that headset and went to best buy and got a set of Turtle Beach Ear Force Z11. Same exact issue, just a little bit less noise when the microphone boost is at 30db (30db microphone boost and 100% volume didn't help either headset)

I know my soundcard isn't the issue because I had a pair of TekNmotion Yapsters' and I never once had an issue with those.

I'm ready to say screw it all and return my new headset and get another set of Yapsters because I know those work, but something a little more high end would be nice.

RaDiKaL_

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Personally I've been enjoying my Steelseries 7H this last 4-5 years, I only had to plug it in and never had a complain regarding whether my mic volume was too low or any noise nor anything, sound quality is great too, now the new model is the 9H I guess it must be better than the 7H, around 120$ it's totally worth it.

Before jumping into anything however, starting Windows Vista and onwards there's a default setting that lowers the volume when using any talking software like Raidcall, mumble, Teamspeak etc.

You might wanna check if that's giving you the sense that your mic is too low, go to control panel->Sound->Communications and set it to "Do Nothing".

Eleventy 49

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014

I've just done that, doesn't seem to fix the issue
@bgunner Yes, Skype Test Call being my source.

bgunner

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Have you gone into microphone property's and enabled the microphone boost? Also depending on the microphone you may have to move it a little closer to your mouth. Some with detachable mics can be installed with the pickup to out side reducing the volume it picks up. Also Skype I believe has an adjustment for this issue. Skype will need to be recalibrated for the new headset. If possible try a different program and see if the issue remains. This will help know if it is a software issue.

My daughter is on my laptop so I can't give instructions on exactly how to do this though.

EDIT: this may help : http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht073424?tabName=Solutions Some setting may vary in looks.

Eleventy 49

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014

I've already done all those...

Eleventy 49

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014
Yes. There is very close to no audio going into the input. This has happened two headsets in a row, although a previous headset has worked. TekNMotion Yapster for whatever reason worked just fine.

bgunner

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
curiosity, do you have another mic hooked up? like one in a web cam.

also have you turned up the chat volume on the head set? Made sure the adapter is plugged in all the way to both the PC and to the cord, as this head set requires an adapter for PC.

What audio deice does your PC have? VIA, Realtek ?

Eleventy 49

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014
I have a USB webcam microphone plugged in, and it hears me typing this very sentence. The headset was not plugged all the way into the adapter, but that didn't seem to help. Right now I have an additional 20db boost on the microphone from the headset and that isn't helping one bit.

Realtek HD Audio, Why would the TekNMotion work so perfectly (The only reason I'm not still using it is one of the cords stopped working) and this one (and the HyperX) work so poorly?

bgunner

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
which device do you have selected as teh default microphone? The web cam or the realtek? Have you entered the realtek audio control manager and made sure the microphone volume is all the way raised in there? also which device in skype is selected as the microphone.