is there a limit of how much memory is devoted to the sd card for apps to be moved to

Jul 9, 2018
I have a Samsung s7e (32 GB internal storage) with a 256 GB sd card on it, of which only 14.2 GB is used. I had been moving the apps (that would allow it) to the sd card, but now am getting notice that there isn't enough room to move them onto the sd card. I can only imagine that there is a limit set by the system as to how much storage the sd card is allowed for moving apps onto it. Anyone else having this issue? Can that limit be changed?

Solution
I have never heard of that happening before. Not saying you can't move more due to space on card. Only cannot move due to the app not being able to be on card.
There isn't a limit on the card. However, there is a limitation of how many apps can actually move to a standard card, which is "External" storage. That said, if you have a card larger than your device supports (larger in storage), that can cause that. But I believe yours can have a card up to 256 on that one, so not an issue here.

Now, if the app you are trying to move is not one that can be moved, you would need to see if it is possible on that device to make the SD card "Internal" storage.

Unless I am missing something here, like they are apps that say they can be moved, etc.

Jul 9, 2018

Thanks for the reply. I checked and have about 130 apps total on my phone and found that 22 were able to move onto the sd card. There are more that can be moved (i.e., I get the "Change" option after I tap on "storage"), but I keep getting "not enough storage space" when I try to move it to the sd card. Again, only 14.2 GB of the 256 GB on the sd card are used. Do 22 apps sound like the limit android would set on apps on "External" storage?

Jul 9, 2018

I wonder if anyone doing programming for Android would know if it's just a matter of setting new limits in the System?

Jul 9, 2018
I wish I had the perfect answer as to why I couldn't move the remainder of my apps on my sd card, but I don't know why it's working now. I did a chat with Samsung and their tech used "Smart Tutor" to gain access to my phone. The first time I tried to move an app (while he was watching), I got the typical error of "Not enough memory". He looked at some setting on the phone and without changing anything, it started to move the apps as one would expect. I was able to move 4 more apps onto the sd card and they all seem to be working fine. Wish I could say there was a setting that had to be changed, but nothing was changed. Truth is stranger than fiction.