Is there a such thing as a ODD/(HDD and or SSD) caddy?

JoeRaptor

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016
Is there a such thing as a ODD/(HDD and or SSD) caddy? I meant like, an optical disk drive, that also serves as an HDD or SSD simulatanously, with only one HDD/SSD running everything? it would totally save room inside my laptop.

Ok, I know that sounds confusing, my bad.

Ok, can an HDD or SDD inside an ODD run my laptop while running the ODD, thats my question. Like, can the mSATA on my motherboard for my ODD replace the mSATA for my hardrive to be more specific.

Solution
Your ODD SLOT has a SATA port, you can hookup ANYTHING that talks to a SATA port, including a 2.5" SSD with the proper caddy, but then your laptop will not have have access to the optical drive any more. As long as this is OK, proceed.

Need HDD/SSD, HUH? You need SOMETHING to boot, after that, up to you whether it's a HDD/SSD or a combo.

U can have ONE thing in one slot.
Hi, the informations from the ODD drive and the HDD (SSD) drive are identical. So you can replace the ODD drive with a caddy for the HDD. The only difference is the shape of the connectors are not the same, for the HDD you have 7+15 pins and for the ODD you have 7+6 pins. This is the reason you need a caddy for the HDD, to be installed in place of the ODD drive.

JoeRaptor

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016

So you're saying, there is a such thing as a ODD and SSD hybrid i can by (I'm looking for a slot load one) ?

To make it simplier and to make sure, will an HDD (and or SSD) run as my laptop's entire internal storage from inside the ODD caddy as well as allow me to insert disks as slot load.

Like.... you know, slot load. Like how a PS4 sucks in the disc you insert, that's what i mean by slot load.

JoeRaptor

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016

Oh hey. I'm looking for a an ODD that is also an internal storage device.

JoeRaptor

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016

So if I put my SSD inside of my ODD it won't work as internal storage anymore? Will my laptop run with just the ODD then?
Or do I still need an HDD or SSD?

Your ODD SLOT has a SATA port, you can hookup ANYTHING that talks to a SATA port, including a 2.5" SSD with the proper caddy, but then your laptop will not have have access to the optical drive any more. As long as this is OK, proceed.

Need HDD/SSD, HUH? You need SOMETHING to boot, after that, up to you whether it's a HDD/SSD or a combo.

U can have ONE thing in one slot.

Solution

JoeRaptor

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016

Whoa, whoaaaaa bro. Thanks, but are you ok?