Is there a Way to disable the laptop keyboard, and use another external keyboard via USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TronX33

Estimable
Feb 17, 2015
My laptop keyboard is failing, and I am typing this on a horrible old membrane Logitech keyboard. Soon, I am getting a Cherry MX Blue keyboard, an I would like to plop it n my laptops keyboard without making the laptop register keystrokes from the few keys that are working. Is there a way to disable the built in keyboard, but still use a external one? Also, the keyboard in question is the Logitech G710 (new version that has Cherry MX bLue switches). Did they fix they breaking keycap issue for this version of the G710?

Solution
Below is a link to a alternative to device manager you could try and be able to disable your keyboard with this. You can go to options in menu and ask it to mark disable devices and mark connected devices. Device type code should show you your devices.

Make sure you have a restore point saved on you system first should you need to put thing back. Always back things up first before you play around with new software. Also a restore disk for your PC.

http://download.cnet.com/DevManView/3000-2094_4-10973315.html

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
Go to start menu, type device manager press enter, click on device manager, find keyboard in device manager, click on + sign for drop down menu to disable keyboard driver reboot should be required to make this permanent or uninstall it.

TronX33

Estimable
Feb 17, 2015

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
Have you tried looking at the driver with user account turned off,
Go to control panel user account, click on toggle user account on/off to turn off.
then reboot look at same driver after reboot should see option to turn the driver off if i remember right?
don't forget to toggle it back on for your personal safety that's why it's normally on to protect your settings.
Reboot for changes to take place.

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
Below is a link to a alternative to device manager you could try and be able to disable your keyboard with this. You can go to options in menu and ask it to mark disable devices and mark connected devices. Device type code should show you your devices.

Make sure you have a restore point saved on you system first should you need to put thing back. Always back things up first before you play around with new software. Also a restore disk for your PC.

http://download.cnet.com/DevManView/3000-2094_4-10973315.html

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.