Mar 11, 2020
I have a ASUS GL503VM Laptop (ROG Strix) and it always has the following problem.

I turn on the Laptop, entire my Windows PIN, and after the keyboard does not receive input for a few seconds, it becomes unresponsive. None of the keys work.

The keyboard becomes responsive again when any USB device is unplugged or plugged into a USB port on the laptop. It is as if this USB event resets the keyboard. However, as soon as the keyboard does not receive input for a few seconds, it turns off again. This makes the keyboard basically unusable.

I have notices several things that may be useful for anyone who can help me figure this out:

While none of the keys are working, if I press for instance, "ddddddd" or any combination of keys, when the USB event occurs, turning the keyboard back ON, the computer spits out "ddddddd" as if it was holding it in a buffer or something. So I can type a full sentence with the dead keyboard, plug in the USB, and the full sentence will appear on the screen.

Another thing is that disconnecting/connecting USB devices causes HID Keyboard Devices to stack up in the device manager. Each time a USB event occurs, another HID device appears under Keyboards in the Device Manager. If I right click one of these devices while the keyboard is dead, and click "scan for hardware changes" this also resets the keyboard the same way a USB event does.

https://ibb.co/RDx2n8C - image of Device Manager with multiple HID devices

I am really hoping that someone can help me figure out how to solve this issue, as currently I am using a bluetooth keyboard with my laptop, and I would much rather be able to use the built in Laptop keyboard. Any help is greatly appreciated

Try this and see if it helps...

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
  2. Reboot (completely shut it down and then turn it back on) the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
  3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

Just make sure you have disconnected the external keyboard completely. If this alone doesn't work, then repeat it but also have the computer forget the external keyboard you have been using. So that if connected again, it would have to be set up as new to the device. If any other keyboards have been connected before as well, I would go through and forget them as well before repeating the above.

Mar 11, 2020
Try this and see if it helps...

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
  2. Reboot (completely shut it down and then turn it back on) the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
  3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.
Just make sure you have disconnected the external keyboard completely. If this alone doesn't work, then repeat it but also have the computer forget the external keyboard you have been using. So that if connected again, it would have to be set up as new to the device. If any other keyboards have been connected before as well, I would go through and forget them as well before repeating the above.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this did not work. I guess it is not a driver issue?