Is there a way to Plug 3+ devices into one headset and controll all three devices volume sepretly?

Campo123456789

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Hey I'm not sure if this is in the right section. But I am wanting a device that I can plug my headset into and then Plug other things into( eg. Pc, ps3 ps2 laptop)into and able to controll all of those devices from the one that they are plugged into. Is there such a thing if so i would really like to know

Thanks in advance guys

nukemaster

Distinguished
The only thing that comes to mind would be a mixer + headphone amp. Or a mixer that can drive the headphones.

After all, the game consoles are not designed to drive the headphones, The headphone amp would take the line level signal from the mixer and drive your headphones. The mixer by nature would let you control the volume on each device while providing the devices with isolation from one another(not ground isolation on many mixers, but it should work).

Are you looking for a DIY solution or something else.

I am sure more users will have other/better ideas for you too.

Campo123456789

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Hey thanks for reply, hey!! Thats pretty much what I want so I pretty much need a really really small mixing desk that I can plug all my stuff into and them just have my headphones plugged into the output or headphone slot. But I dOnt want to have to go and buy a mixing desk as they can be big and I don't need to change any on the frequencys or bass or treable(well would be nice) so I need a small small desk that I can plug any device Into pretty much. Is there such a thing like a really really small mixing desk? And I can do some DIY stuff of you had any thin in mind?

Campo123456789

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
but i want to be able to split some of the windows in my pc up so i can controll the individual volume of each one with the mixing desk, like if i have skype youtube and a game open i want to be able to ajust each of those volumes with the mixing desk is that possable? i want to be able to controll the volume of each one with hardwere not softwere. can you do that?

nukemaster

Distinguished
In order to split all those up, You need a sound card for each. Onboard can do 2(if you split the front and rear outputs.).

So unless you want to install all kinds of cards, that may be interesting. On the other hand, 1 computer with lets say Skype, music ect may work while the other will handle games and such. In that case, you could just use the computers volume.

Anyway, Something you may wish to look at(more so the "simple virtual earth mixer with input attenuation(level control)").

http://www.all-electric.com/schematic/simp_mix.htm

Important things to know.

1. That shows 1 channel, you will want variable resistors or pots that can handle both channels at once.
2. Opamps are more easy to work with if you have a symmetrical power supply(-9v 0v +9v). This is the hardest part.

This is for a pocket headphone amp powered by 2 9 volt batteries. It WILL let you get symmetric voltage from a normal single voltage power supply. If you like to play, you may also look at dc-dc converters that can turn one voltage into a negative 0 positive voltage as well as isolate the system.
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/misc/cmoy-tangent-sch.pdf

You NEED an isolated power supply(wall wart that has its positive and negative NOT connected to any of the power prongs.) for this to work.

Now, if you combine the 2 setups, you can make a mixer with volume per input AND place a headphone amp(also note that you can find many more modified designs for the amp by Googleing cmoy amp) at the end(if you setup to be able to connect the amp to the mixer with a cable, you can also use a amp or receiver to replace the headphones in the future.).

This is NOT a small undertaking. I have made a 2 x 5.1 in 1 x 5.1 out without volume control and just a basic upmix feature(Image<- and NO, the heat sinks are NOT needed, I am a computer guy and heat sink anything i can) and it works well for me. You project is much more. If you are a tinkerer, get your self a bread board and have fun :)

I am not that advanced in this type of thing, mine was a project of necessity, but I will try to help if you decide to build this.