Solved! Is there an "ad blocker" that don't track your browsing history, or other privacy issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M-train

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015
I had to uninstall, and reinstall Firefox recently, for which I had to reinstall some of my browsing add on's, one of them being an ad blocker.

I might not have noticed before when I installed ad blocker, but this time before installing ad blocker I got a window notifying me that I would agree to let the program have access to my browsing history, etc.

So, the question stands, is there an ad blocking add on for Firefox that doesn't attach itself to your private info?

Thanks.

Flyfisherman

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Well, this is not so easy question to answer I guess.

AdBlock Plus is my personal favorite use in Firefox (which also supports Chrome etc. as well as mob phones), but is it really safe?
No.
But ABP is an open source project, licensed under GPLv3, and can be used by anyone free of charge. The use of ABP is subject to the restrictions of the GPLv3. in such, there are no subject to "pillage the village" in that s/w.

And ABP is pretty good att blocking Ad:s at a decent level (while allowing some non disturbing ads) without any sacrificing of cpu-draw (quite the opposite) or reading an article with obstruction of view. On the other hand, one can easily change the default setting to block every ad - while I would not recommend that.
Some good websites depends on ad for ex. news papers, tech sites and so on.

How does Adblock Plus work?
What are Acceptable Ads?

Best Regards from Sweden

M-train

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015
I use Ghostery as well, so I guess Ghostery might well just take care of the tracking issues from any type of Ad Blocking program.

One thing I didn't know until mentioned in this thread by Flyfisherman, is that those Ad Blocking programs actually slow things down, so that would also be an issue as well as the privacy issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.