Is this a good Monitor Combo,...?

AaronVoreck

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
I have a 3-year-old Lenovo Y70-70 Laptop,... https://www3.lenovo.com/ng/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/Lenovo-Y70-70-Touch/p/88LG80Y0350
I currently have a 27: Dell 4k monitor, but it seems to be bottoming out. I am looking to upgrade it to this one,... http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/omen-x-by-hp-35-curved-display
My laptop has HDMI 1.4 and a 860M GTX with G-Sync. Since this newer monitor has g-sync and 3440x1440 at 100hz I'm thinking this should give me better gameplay, even if its only 60hz using HDMI 1.4 as the laptop does not have DVI. Just wondering all your thoughts on this,...?

Solution
The 'bottleneck' here is the HDMI port on the Y70. I have a Y50 with the same specs (more or less) and I only use an external monitor for productivity. I also have a 27" 4K ThinkVision X1 monitor but I can only achieve genuine 4K resolution with my desktop GPU via the display port.

I haven't seen any Lenovo laptop with an HDMI 2.0 port (which is what you need), but some models do feature display ports.

Before spending $900 on the admittedly great-looking HP monitor, maybe you should consider buying a desktop computer and add a GPU with a display port to hook up with your current 4K Dell.

I know this sounds like the usual 'get a desktop' brush off, but $900 will go a long way with a desktop build and you'll still have the Y70 when you...
The 'bottleneck' here is the HDMI port on the Y70. I have a Y50 with the same specs (more or less) and I only use an external monitor for productivity. I also have a 27" 4K ThinkVision X1 monitor but I can only achieve genuine 4K resolution with my desktop GPU via the display port.

I haven't seen any Lenovo laptop with an HDMI 2.0 port (which is what you need), but some models do feature display ports.

Before spending $900 on the admittedly great-looking HP monitor, maybe you should consider buying a desktop computer and add a GPU with a display port to hook up with your current 4K Dell.

I know this sounds like the usual 'get a desktop' brush off, but $900 will go a long way with a desktop build and you'll still have the Y70 when you need to go places.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Solution