is this battery behavior normal?

Lumia925

Estimable
Oct 16, 2014
This is a new laptop, only 12 days old,
Say i drain the battery completely until Windows enters a power emergency hibernation.
Then i connect the charger, the laptop charges the battery very fast until about 85%, but then the rate of charging slows down...
It goes from 0% to 85% in like one hour, and the takes another hour to go from 85% to 100%.
Is this normal behavior?

PS: The laptop has a battery test software installed by HP, the test says battery condition is excellent.
I get about 5 hours of battery runtime if I'm not gaming on it and power profile is set to power saver,

Configuration:
Core i7 5500 U with intel HD graphics 5500.
GTX 850M (4GB dedicated graphics, switchable)
8GB DDR3 1600MHz
1TB HDD
128GB m.2 SSD
15.6 inch FHD touch screen
3200mAh 4cell li-ion battery
90W charger.

Windows 8.1

Ask me if you need to know something else.
Thanks.

Solution
Usually battery charging has three states. It charges very fast for the first 60-75%, then slows down, then slows down some more for trickle charging. As kanewolf said this is pretty normal behavior, and protects the battery from over charging. Some devices will take the slowdown to more of an extreme than others. There is also the possibility that the battery percentage is inaccurate, and in thise 58 minutes it is only charging to 50%. Neither are something you should worry about.

Lumia925

Estimable
Oct 16, 2014

I clocked it, it takes 58 minutes to charge it from 95 percent to 100 percent, even when the laptop is powered OFF.
I'm using the 90W adapter that came with the laptop.

Should it take 58 minutes to charge the last 5%? Please suggest,,

TechShark

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015
Usually battery charging has three states. It charges very fast for the first 60-75%, then slows down, then slows down some more for trickle charging. As kanewolf said this is pretty normal behavior, and protects the battery from over charging. Some devices will take the slowdown to more of an extreme than others. There is also the possibility that the battery percentage is inaccurate, and in thise 58 minutes it is only charging to 50%. Neither are something you should worry about.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS