The_Freeman

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014
Is using the javascript command: javascript: document.body.contentEditable = 'true'; document.designMode = 'on'; void 0 on a webpage hacking? Yes or No and why?

Solution
That depends on the thought process of who is defining the 'hacking'. To some (uninformed) people, running anything from the command line, or booting from a Linux CD, is 'hacking'.

The_Freeman

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014

Yea I know that I was just wondering if this counts as hacking or not and why.

The_Freeman

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014

'Gain unauthorized access to data in a system or computer' That's what I'm going by. (btw this isn't for me my friends are arguing about it)

USAFRet

Illustrious

If you are changing the content or design of a webpage in a way that is unauthorized by the owner, then yes....that would be 'hacking'. (If we are going by the current bastardized definition of 'hacking')

ksham

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013

No. That's not doing anything invasive. It only affects YOUR screen. It's not saving that data. Someone else would not see any changes you make with that.

The_Freeman

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014

Good its not only me that thinks it :) That's what I said to them but one still disagrees with me. I'm just trying to figure out what his definition of hacking is for it to be wrong!?!

The_Freeman

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014

Who said anything about being clever?

ksham

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013

Your friend found a few JavaScript commands to enable content editing on a webpage and labeled it as "hacking" when there are already tools that does it better. If that's not trying to be clever, then that's just silliness.