is this laptop still good?

batnaut

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014
hi, im looking at buying a gaming laptop for under 450, the lower is better though. i found an add for a DELL XPS M1530 gaming laptop. i realize this is an older laptop...but not sure how old. i heard that this can play mw2 preety much max. is this true? i would like to play borderlands 2, batman arkham city, rust, and fallout new vegas. do you think this is a good laptop to buy used for 220?
should i link the ad?
thanks alot!!!

CRITICALThinker

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
I would say that this laptop would be too old for your needs, as it is still sporting a core 2 duo and an Geforce 8400m gpu, I would at least recommend finding a 400 series Geforce and a second gen intel core i if you are buying used.

batnaut

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014
hi...i found another, a Dell XPS 15.6 inch laptop. 6GB RAM, intel core i7 2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz. NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M graphics. 500 GB storage.

for 275 with a broken battery, will this work for these games? is it a good deal without battery? thanks

IInuyasha74

Honorable

For the first laptop you asked about, I agree it is too old. It probably could play Fallout New Vegas, but see here:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-8600M-GT.3986.0.html

Its so old that this site doesn't even have any tests for it after 2007 for the graphics chip. So it is rather old and weak.

The second laptop you posted I wouldn't think the battery would hurt too bad that it is broken. The chips inside of it would consume quite a bit of power and drain the battery in less than 30 minutes while gaming. A new battery can be bought for not too much for using it on the go, but make sure nothing else is wrong with it.

A better idea might be to look for a new laptop. I bought a used laptop personally and it worked out way better for me than I could of expected, but it took hours and hours of searching it was pure luck I found it. It is late for me here so I don't have time to look for one, but just wanted to say you don't have to go high to get okay performance in a laptop.

I have seen several laptops under $500 when looking a few months ago that have enough graphics power for what you are looking for. Any laptop with an Intel HD 4000 would have more graphics power than the first laptop you posted, and can be found around $300 at times. Laptops with Intel HD 4200 and 4400 are even better and can be found in laptops with faster more energy efficent CPUs for around $400 on a good sale.

Also looking at AMD offerings, most laptops from AMD can give a base line of decent gaming performance. The CPU is slower in them, but the graphics are good. Any laptop with AMD or Intel in them with an Nvidia or AMD graphics chip is better, but probably will cost a little more.

So the best suggestion for you is to go look at Newegg at laptops which are around these lines. Several should be good choices. Tomorrow if someone else has not already found you a good laptop I will look, but if someone else does first best of luck with your new laptop.