Minca2013

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016
I found this computer which is on sale at my local bestbuy and was wondering if its any good for school. It has a 56WH battery which I hope will be enough to last a school day. Also it comes with Windows 10S and only 64GB of eMMC. Is that enough to upgrade to windows 10 home or pro and have space for other documents and some larger files like videos or movies? Final question is the processor, I haven't had any experience with intel pentium laptops and I'm opting for the quad-core version. Just wanna know if its a good buy for word processing, browsing and video playback. I think 4GB of ram should be enough though.

Thank you!

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-14-laptop-star-grey-intel-pentium-silver-n5000-64gb-emmc-4gb-ram-windows-10-s/12600842.aspx?

g-unit1111

Distinguished
Keep in mind that if you're in the market for a laptop like that, that Windows 10 S is *NOT* the full version of Windows. Windows 10 S will only run applications from the Windows store. If you need to use any programs that require the full version of Windows, it would probably be better to spring for a laptop that has the full version of Windows.

Minca2013

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016

Yea thats why I was wondering if it would be able to take full windows. Ive been told windows takes between 8-20 GB of space and that you should leave 20GB for cache.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Supposedly there is a fix from the app store that allows you to install the full Windows from the app store but I don't know if that applies to all Windows 10 S laptops or just Surface devices. I'll check.

Minca2013

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016

Thanks, do you think the rest is alright? Seems okay to me if I can upgrade to windows 10 home.

cryoburner

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

64GB is not a lot of space. Especially for something like the storage of videos or movies. I kind of think you might want something with more storage than that, or maybe get an external hard drive for bulk file storage.

USAFRet

Illustrious
You'd have to actually purchase a valid Win 10 license. There is no free upgrade from Win 10 S to Home or Pro.
Will Win 10 Home work on that laptop? Sure. It will be slow, because that is a slow cheesy laptop.

64GB doesn't go far.
OS and your applications will probably take 30-40GB or so.
Leaving you about 15GB usable space....maybe 2 movies.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/upgrade-from-windows-10-s

I have read conflicting reports. One says you pay $50 bucks and Microsoft grants you a Pro key. This shows doing these steps will get you Pro free.

However this might have been a limited time offer.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

Turns out Windows 10 S is just Pro in S Mode:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4020089/windows-10-in-s-mode-faq

"You can switch out of S mode easily at any time through the Microsoft Store within Windows. There is no charge for switching the mode. The switch is one-way; if you make the switch, you won't be able to go back to S mode. See below for important additional limitations when switching out of S mode on devices that use the Qualcomm Snapdragon processor."

I thought like you it was just Windows 10 but a locked down version. Well it is but it is just Pro running in that mode. However it is one way only and once done you can never go back even if you reset the system to factory settings.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Interesting.
(storing this in my hindbrain for future reference)

I had just thought it was mostly a rebranding of the braindead and locked down Windows Starter version.

Minca2013

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016

I do have an external hard drive I can use and im thinking about getting a 128 GB m.2 drive as well.

USAFRet

Illustrious

I wouldn't count on that laptop being able to use an m.2 drive, or any other internally connected drive type.
I'd have to open it up and actually see the m.2 port, and verify in the service manual what type of drive it can take.

Those type of laptops are not meant to be any sort of productivity machines.
Web browsing, email, facebook and utube.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

You'd have to check and make sure that can accommodate an M2 drive. A lot of laptops in that price range don't have very many options available for expandability. Most of the time it's built into the motherboard and can't be changed.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I cannot find anything that verifies this may or may not have an M.2 slot. It does, for sure, have an SD slot which you could use but its a pretty cheap laptop designed to just work. I also doubt there will be very many upgrade options for it.