Question Is this really just garbage now?

Jan 5, 2022
A friend got a new laptop for Xmas and somewhere during the update process the computer would no longer boot past Bios. Apparently tech support just had them try a reset and when it didn't work said they would just refund and to order a new one. Problem solved, but they didn't want the "broken" one back.

I have a photo of the Asus Bios utility EZ mode screen, but apparently I can't just upload it here and it's not hosted on a site. Either way, it shows boot priority to be Windows Boot Manager, but the actual boot menu is empty. Also, nothing changes if I hit F9 for defaults.

I just have a hard time believing it's a $1000 brick right now.

View: https://i.imgur.com/zbJXDEw.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022
don't look the same the screen said 9750h, no gtx 1050ti.
but if it have hdd, could be just failed
They said they ordered that one, so who knows? But does that mean the HDD can just be replaced or is it actual garbage? I don't know crap about this stuff, but the bios was still reading the temperature and fan speed so I'm assuming it's not the motherboard. Right?

Basically, should I find someone to fix it or do you think I should just throw it out? Please I'd really appreciate your advice.

Jan 5, 2022
depend, if it is cheap to replace hdd with a 2.5" ssd
Thank you for your help. Considering they just gave me the broken computer, literally any money I'll have to spend is worth it (up to a few hundred) to get it up and running. It didn't make sense to me to throw it away with quality video card & ram that is probably fine too.

So I'm taking your final answer as, "Yes it is reparable, but might be a bit costly." (obviously I am not skilled enough to do so on my own.) I will look for a local laptop repair guy....

Reactions: rgd1101

TRENDING THREADS