Is this Tripod compatible?

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Hello,

Basically, I'm completely new to the photography scene. I've only just started to fiddle with the settings on cameras, and now in looking to take advantage of some other options in terms of shooting.

Basically, I want to know if this tripod will be compatible with the Sony NEX-5 camera I'm using.

Tripod: http://www.amazon.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-PORTABLE-CAMERA-CAMCORDER-TRIPOD/dp/B00843GU9A/ref=sr_1_54?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1379800657&sr=1-54&keywords=Tripod

Camera: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/nex-5/nex-5k

Best Regards
Luke

Solution
Yes. 99% of cameras, and 99% of tripods have the same screw size.

However - there are few things more useless than a crappy tripod. And at £6.97, that is undoubtedly a crappy tripod.

A tripod is meant to do one thing - hold the camera absolutely rock steady. A light, flimsy one that shakes at the slightest breeze is useless. And possibly dangerous if/when it falls over. And you don't want your brand new $500 camera falling over.

Not saying you have to spend megabucks on one, but £6.97 screams CRAP!
Go to a camera shop and play with a few. See how they feel. Then you'll have a little more of an idea of what you need.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Yes. 99% of cameras, and 99% of tripods have the same screw size.

However - there are few things more useless than a crappy tripod. And at £6.97, that is undoubtedly a crappy tripod.

A tripod is meant to do one thing - hold the camera absolutely rock steady. A light, flimsy one that shakes at the slightest breeze is useless. And possibly dangerous if/when it falls over. And you don't want your brand new $500 camera falling over.

Not saying you have to spend megabucks on one, but £6.97 screams CRAP!
Go to a camera shop and play with a few. See how they feel. Then you'll have a little more of an idea of what you need.

Solution

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

Thanks - I shall heed your advice and have a look at some different models.