Is this worth doing?

Shiit

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
Hello all,

So I'm a part time YouTuber who enjoys using photoshop and editing videos mostly 1080p and 720p, but basically I'm always mobile and I don't get to use my Custom Built PC as much as I'd like so I was wondering would it be worth buying a MacBook Pro i5 2011/12 for around £500 and buying a 240gb SSD for it for around £75, the specs of the MacBook are:
4GB RAM (Upgradeable)
250GB SSD (If I install it)
i5 Processor (Sandybridge 3rd Gen I think)
Mac OS X Yosemite

Any thoughts on this? Would It be a good laptop for editing on and all?

Brunostako

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
MAC is definitively a well optimized OS. It runs well on its hardware, but its a closed ecosystem as you already may know.

If you're very used to the more open ecosystem of the PCs and to the way windows work, you may hate it.

The upgrades they offer are not of your choice, they almost won't let you use other hardware that is not Apple. Recently, the system will disable TRIM for non Apple SSDs thanks to an OS upgrade.

I'm not a Apple hater, i haven't used it, but those are facts.

Shiit

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013

Thanks for the answer, a pull factor of the Mac is actually its OS i really like it but, what did you mean in simple terms of the whole disabling other non apple hardware?

Brunostako

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
The TRIM command in few words helps with the speed of a SSD and helps it to have less wear so it can live longer.

A recent update in the OS disables that function when you install a non Apple SSD.

Other hardware that is compatible with common PCs is sometimes not compatible with MACs

Shiit

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013

So what will i not be able to do if i install an SSD?