Issue with headphones and speakers playing simultaneously?

headphonehelp

Estimable
Dec 10, 2014
Hi guys, i've had this issue a couple of times before, and it usually gets resolved after an hour or so of fiddling, but its never been completely fixed. I have a Razer Kraken headset, and a pair of brandless £10 speakers from Argos. When I solely have my headphones plugged in, they seem to work fine, but when I want to play through my speakers, I take my headphone jack out, plug the speaker one in, and then the speakers don't play. So then I plug them both in, and they both play at the same time with very low volume! (it says its on 100% volume, but the sound is only around 20%).

I have no idea how to fix this for the last time. I don't have Realtek audio, my computer came with Beats audio instead. On the audio playback settings, there is a device that is called "Speakers / Headphones", and when I 'test' it, the sound plays through both at the same time. Does anyone know how I can place them on separate devices? Any help is much appreciated.

Solution
I'm assuming you're using Windows. There should be a little speaker icon on the bottom right (if it isn't there click on the upward arrow and click 'Customize...' then go to the volume icon and change it shows the icon). Right click on the speaker icon and click on Playback devices. Left click on the device you want to listen to and click 'Set Default'.

Then it should work. One thing you should make sure of is that your speakers are plugged into the back of your computer (directly into the motherboard) and the headphones are plugged into front-panel audio port. This way both devices show up and it's easy to distinguish.

Good luck!

justcallmetom13

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014
I'm assuming you're using Windows. There should be a little speaker icon on the bottom right (if it isn't there click on the upward arrow and click 'Customize...' then go to the volume icon and change it shows the icon). Right click on the speaker icon and click on Playback devices. Left click on the device you want to listen to and click 'Set Default'.

Then it should work. One thing you should make sure of is that your speakers are plugged into the back of your computer (directly into the motherboard) and the headphones are plugged into front-panel audio port. This way both devices show up and it's easy to distinguish.

Good luck!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS