Solved! Issues with Onkyo TX-RZ810 and input switching/black screens.

ninjames

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
I'm the new owner of an Onkyo TX-RZ810, and if not for the issue I'm about to describe, I'd be in love with the thing. I do not have a complicated audio setup, I just use a soundbar, but I bought this receiver for its Zone 2 HDMI output capability, plus the excess of HDMI Inputs. My issue isn't related to Zone 2, however, it happens on the main zone when all other zones are disabled, or when they're in use.

The issue: Launching most fullscreen apps or changing display settings of any kind on my PC (Windows 10, GTX-1080Ti, plugged into HDMI1 and to my TV via HDMI Output 1), and occasionally with my Xbox One X/PS4 Pro/Nintendo Switch, the screen will go black and be unresponsive until I swap inputs and then swap back. So if I launch one game on PC, it will just go to a black screen. The PC is still working, the game is still loading, but it's a black screen until I swap to Input 2 and then back to Input 1. This happens several times every day and not even with every fullscreen app.

I am very new to the world of receivers, but at this point it's providing more of a headache than my simple HDMI Switch ever did. There could easily be a setting I've missed, so I'm hoping for some help on the matter. Thank you. I also posted this on the home theater subreddit.

Solution
What you are describing seems like an HDMI handshake problem. You could try a different HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. Try an different input on the TV too.
A good quality HDMI matrix input selector would have made more sense than using an AV receiver. You aren't using 90% of the receiver at all.
What you are describing seems like an HDMI handshake problem. You could try a different HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. Try an different input on the TV too.
A good quality HDMI matrix input selector would have made more sense than using an AV receiver. You aren't using 90% of the receiver at all.

Solution