Issues With Running Games (GTX 860M)

LegitD0nuT

Estimable
Dec 4, 2014
Recently, I've had issues with my GTX 860M in my laptop (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-y50-touch-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-1tb-8gb-hybrid-hard-drive-black/6337026.p?id=1219665860106&skuId=6337026 - there's even a misspell on the website that says it's a 960M instead of a 860M... Best Buy disappoints me; and I'm sure this is the exact computer I have)

Well - the issue is that with games such as Fallout 4 and Bo3 (As well as other games that require DirectX I believe) I crash very often. The minimum requirements for Fallout 4 are 2GB vRAM, and 1GB vRAM for Black ops 3. Upon doing things such as trying to leave the room I'm stuck in in Fallout 4 or games starting/ending in Bo3, my computer either freezes entirely, I get signed out, or my game crashes and I get the error message "Display driver has stopped working and has recovered." I have tried to do a multitude of things - including uninstalling and clean reinstalling all of my graphics drivers, and double checking all my CPU drivers to insure DirectX is working correctly. The GPU I have in my laptop is a GTX 860M @2GB. Anyways, any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Solution

gilbadon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Video cards should not do this under stock settings even under the heaviest of loads. You may have to get a replacement from best buy if you are still within the return period.

LegitD0nuT

Estimable
Dec 4, 2014

I do still have my replacement as I don't necessarily trust Best Buy products since they tend to break or have some issue within a year, however I'd still at least want to try to get it working.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Those are pretty heavy games for a mid-range laptop card. I believe temperature is the likely culprit here. If the GPU temperature is getting past 90C or so it will almost certainly start crashing. You either need to lower the ingame settings, turn on v-sync (and maybe lower the refresh rate of the monitor) or set a frame rate limit.

Are any other games causing these issues?

Due to re-branding and manufacturing availability the same laptop model will offer different motherboards with different GPUs. Probably a simple case of stocking a store at the time and the website being updated later on with the latest models specs.

LegitD0nuT

Estimable
Dec 4, 2014

I doubt it's the temperature - this happens within ~3 minutes of playing and my laptop doesn't seem to get that hot. I'm also running everything on as low as it possibly can go (With a resolution of 1600x900). That I know of, no other games are causing these issues. However I can check when I get home, which will be four hours from now. I hook up my laptop to an external monitor with an HDMI cable but I tried running the games without connecting it to the monitor and the same things happen. I also tried running the second monitor only, again with the same result. I'm also running Windows 10 64-bit

O_Pgamer96

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
to be safe and rule out any outliers, test the temps with monitoring software. in the future, would not suggest lenovo laptops or the company in general, even their facebook machines are a little wonky.

LegitD0nuT

Estimable
Dec 4, 2014

I just downloaded GPU Tweak, what I use for my desktop. When I get home I'll double check what temperature my GPU runs at when I play Fallout 4. Also, if I had a choice I'd get a desktop and cheap surface or something for school, as Lenovo is a shitty computer company in general (My parents are divorced - I use the laptop for both school and gaming at my moms house, whereas at my dads house I have a desktop)

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
The silicon can heat up in seconds, so 3 minutes is an eternity. If that does turn out to be the problem, then underclocking/undervolting the card may help out quite a bit as well.

Lenovo makes the cheapest laptops with the best hardware. If you go into it knowing that, they are pretty good for the money. Fairly satisfied with my Y410p and its GT740m, but I don't ask the world of it and will tone down the settings. (More commonly I use it for a portable XP VM for some software/hardware tools that still need a serial port)

Crequej

Estimable
Nov 22, 2015
I have the exact same issues with the y-50 70 Touch.. same card... same issues. Just bought Starwars Battlefront .. and can't even play it.. HardLine I can get to work 50% of the time.. Fallout4 crashes constantly.. I have done a bunch of trouble shooting and research.. Everything I have found points to the card and GeForce Drivers.. the GeForce Forums have many GTX 860M owners steaming mad.. and I'm one.. If I could return mine I would.. It's been a great laptop as long as I don't game on it.. :(

LegitD0nuT

Estimable
Dec 4, 2014

After taking my laptop to Geek Squad at Best Buy, they suprisingly fixed it. From what I know, what they did was entirely reset the computer and reinstall an older driver before fallout 4 came out. Supposedly there are issues with fallout 4 and NVIDIA's most recent drivers.

Crequej

Estimable
Nov 22, 2015

That's great... Glad they helped you. I have done that.. but I have had no luck.. could you share what Version Diver you are using?

Your GPU doesn't meet the minimum requirement for Star Wars Battlefront. Not sure how accurate posted requirements are, though:

Star Wars Battlefront

Minimum PC System Requirements
Processor (Intel): Intel i3 6300T or equivalent
Memory: 8GB RAM
Hard Drive: At least 40 GB of free space
Graphics card (NVIDIA): nVidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB
Graphics card (ATI): ATI Radeon HD 7850 2GB
DirectX: 11.0 Compatible video card or equivalent

Crequej

Estimable
Nov 22, 2015

I have:
8Gigs Ram
GTX 860M
i7 Processor
Win8.1
1TB drive

From Fallout4's website.
Minimum:
•Operating system: Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
•Processor: Intel Core i5-2300 2.8GHz / AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz or equivalent
•Memory: 8 GB RAM
•Hard disk space: 30 GB free HDD space
•Video: NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB / AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent

Recommended:
•Operating system: Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
•Processor: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6GHz / AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz or equivalent
•Memory: 8 GB RAM
•Hard disk space: 30 GB free HDD space
•Video: NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB / AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB or equivalent

I was referring to Star Wars Battlefront. You are just below the minimum gpu requirement for that, and just above the mimimum requirement for Fallout 4. Unless I've missed something (I have before). :D

EDIT: Which specific i7 CPU do you have?
Nevermind. 4720HQ. I was just curious.

LegitD0nuT

Estimable
Dec 4, 2014

Sorry for the late response, but the current driver version I am using is 355.60- search "Nvidia old drivers" then you can find it you don't have to reset your computer.

Crequej

Estimable
Nov 22, 2015

Thanks Nvidia finally put out a patch and now it works!

Solution

LegitD0nuT

Estimable
Dec 4, 2014

Just now? You're updated to the most recent Nvidia driver and playing games fine?

What driver version is it? The most recent?