It's Now Legal to Crack Your PC Games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I'm Canadian, but this is still big news to me. :D

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I can't believe it that Library of Congress is in the pocket of Big Consumer! Why can't they leave hard working publishing executives alone?![/citation]
Sir, you deserve a cookie.

cnox

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
If pro is the opposite of con,
is progress the opposite of congress,
or did I just blow your mind?

prozium42

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
[citation][nom]buddhav1[/nom]Score one for Legit players. Thanks for holding us back, pirates.[/citation]

Why was he minused 6 times? I agree whole heartedly.

rollerdisco

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
[citation][nom]buddhav1[/nom]Score one for Legit players. Thanks for holding us back, pirates.[/citation]
really, dont you think the pirates are the ones who made this possible. with out them there would be none of this to begin with, and then this would not have happened.

buddhav1

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]rollerdisco[/nom]really, dont you think the pirates are the ones who made this possible. with out them there would be none of this to begin with, and then this would not have happened.[/citation]

If it weren't for piracy, Software developers could have bypassed all the DRM in the first place. We could have never had need for cracking software

mdbrotha03

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
[citation][nom]aznguy0028[/nom]woo awesome.....today is a good day!... (to die) [starcraft pun][/citation]
thought that was Star Trek

rollerdisco

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
[citation][nom]buddhav1[/nom]If it weren't for piracy, Software developers could have bypassed all the DRM in the first place. We could have never had need for cracking software[/citation]
good point, but you cant really think these type of DRM things wouldn't have happened anyways over time. Maybe not as extreme, but they would happen. it is just naive to think otherwise.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]guantan[/nom]this is great news. I think Apple will still not allow it for some reason.[/citation]
irrelevant, Apple can still try to lock up their device as much as they want and still refuse you support if you have broken into it (or out of it)

But they can't sue you for doing so. that the only thing that has changed on this front.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]snotling[/nom]irrelevant, Apple can still try to lock up their device as much as they want and still refuse you support if you have broken into it (or out of it)But they can't sue you for doing so. that the only thing that has changed on this front.[/citation]
It makes me wonder if a clever lawyer will be able to use the 'spirit' of #'s 4 and 5 to make it perfectly legal to Hackintosh. It's a bit of a stretch of course.

G

[citation][nom]unknown_13[/nom]Thank god[/citation]

Agree 100%.

DRM isn't to punish legal owners of software, it's there to 'stop' piraters.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
this could be the greatest news i have heard in a decade.

I had been worried about cracking the DRM in some of my games, but this makes it so much easier. hopefully, this will sort Ubisoft out...

does this also mean that game accounts cannot be banned for bypassing DRM though? i wonder, it probably could not be covered by law. I would like to crack Splinter cell conviction, but certainly don't want to get my Ubi account banned. the same goes for MW2..

mackinator

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
[citation][nom]tomc5[/nom]Agree 100%.DRM isn't to punish legal owners of software, it's there to 'stop' piraters.[/citation]

but it does punish legal owners. and its not there to stop pirates, its there to profit, thats the core of any real business

Status
Not open for further replies.