Iwata Says Wii U Console Price Not the Issue With Poor Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i must agree with his points here, but I must disagree alot with how hes been handling this situation. nintendo is still relying too heavily on their old franchises to sell their console. hes just sitting back and expecting windwaker hd and the various Mario spawns to catch customers attention, and that method stopped working with the Wii.

he recently said nintendo isnt going to make any games with some meaningful story and that they only make games that are fun. the game market has shifted in these last few years where more and more people are looking for games with large complex stories. if nintendo wants to succeed they should at least try to please this massive and growing market instead of waiting a few years for the next zelda game.

hes also not doing a whole lot to get publishers on board. a few months after release and the bigger publishers have already abandoned the console(until they see sales rise). how exactly does he plan on getting more software on the console if hes been failing miserably at keeping the software providers supporting the console.

I fear his method of providing software now is the same thing he did with Wii, which is making a gazillion 1st party filler games(that are all crap) and mario spinoffs until the next new zelda comes to save the day. I wouldnt be suprised if Iwata is fired or resigns soon.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i must agree with his points here, but I must disagree alot with how hes been handling this situation. nintendo is still relying too heavily on their old franchises to sell their console. hes just sitting back and expecting windwaker hd and the various Mario spawns to catch customers attention, and that method stopped working with the Wii.

he recently said nintendo isnt going to make any games with some meaningful story and that they only make games that are fun. the game market has shifted in these last few years where more and more people are looking for games with large complex stories. if nintendo wants to succeed they should at least try to please this massive and growing market instead of waiting a few years for the next zelda game.

hes also not doing a whole lot to get publishers on board. a few months after release and the bigger publishers have already abandoned the console(until they see sales rise). how exactly does he plan on getting more software on the console if hes been failing miserably at keeping the software providers supporting the console.

I fear his method of providing software now is the same thing he did with Wii, which is making a gazillion 1st party filler games(that are all crap) and mario spinoffs until the next new zelda comes to save the day. I wouldnt be suprised if Iwata is fired or resigns soon.

dvanburen

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
There is only a $50 difference. Who wouldn't pay $50 more for:

1. Black console that MATCHES other equipment.
2. 32GB vs 8GB memory.
3. Pack in game.

If there was a $100 difference I may agree with his logic. Personally, if there was a price drop to the $250 range for the deluxe I would pick one up.

Oh, one last thing: ACCOUNT BASED DIGITAL PURCHASES THAT ARE NOT TIED TO THE HARDWARE AND CAN BE PLAYED IN MULTIPLE CONSOLES

I really don't under stand the current model.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
the console hardware sucks. the premium version is slightly better than the basic, but it still sucks.

furthermore it is not a next gen console, it is essentially a watered down xbox 360 (in terms of performance) with an overpriced controller. The controller cost more than most cheap china android tablets, on top of that, it uses a resistive touch screen and the screen does not look as good as whats on the cheaper android tablets which have more features.

The wii u should have been $200 for the premium version.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Price is part of the issue, but not the whole deal.

The critical problem is: third party support. There's no interesting games released or in development for the Wii U, and what Nintendo is preparing is simply insufficient. A port of Zelda Windwaker, some Mario games. Those are always good and sell well, but first party games can only take you so far.

rubix_1011

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Biggest problem? Original Wii had 'magic' when it was released. Anyone recall how difficult it was to find one that first holiday season? Nintendo has simply assumed that Wii U will re-capture this magic, but the problem is, everyone is doing what the original Wii did and then a whole lot more. The uniqueness of the console and controls is so watered down now that no one cares about junk games to play.

Long story short- Nintendo doesn't seem to have the best 3rd party developer support for what has been gimmicky hardware for quite some time. All of the kids that grew up on the original Wii are now playing PS3 and Xbox360, now. They need to continue to cater to the young kids and families, but need to grow some edginess and do some things right. This doesn't mean try to sell 'Zombie U' as a good title...

capt_taco

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
He's exactly right. They really rushed the console out to be "first" and in time for Christmas last year, but hardly any games were ready for it. There are still barely any worth playing 9 months after it come out. They really doofed it on that one.

jdwii

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
At least 5 1st party titles that are rated a 9/10+ and a price drop. That would sell a Wii U. Start to sell and 3rd party's will come. Until then Nintendo NEVER EVER make a console without a HUGE couple of titles that can only be played on your system.

midnightgun

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
The problem with the WiiU is outdated hardware, plain and simple, resulting in no third party devs being interested. The Wii had the same issue, but survived and prospered on capturing crowds attention that wanted exercise while gaming and a fun unique experience for the whole family. The WiiU doesn't have that, instead it comes with an inferior tablet for a controller (the motion control is done by everyone now). The result is disinterest, and slow hardware that isn't compatible with games coming out for the new gen and the only real francises left is what Nintendo makes. In the end, The Nintendo made games may allow the console to not be a total flop, but Nintendo really really needs to get with the times and make a console out of hardware compatible with the architecture for microsoft and sony and not retardedly slower then theirs. They also need to change their midset of copy protection and the like to be more in line with reality in the digital 21st century.

Status
Not open for further replies.