Japan's Waterproof, Solar Powered Cell Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Sounds cool, just don't outsource this to the ch1nks in china else you can leave out the 'waterproof' part.

And the 'durability' part as well.

G

Sounds cool, just don't outsource to the chinks else you can say goodbye to the 'waterproof' part.

and the 'durability' part as well.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I think I can still find solar-charger back panels that fit my old Nokia 6610. Waterproofing isn't such an issue for me, but I can see that if someone leaves their phone out to charge and it rains.

theJ

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
They'll probably tack on an extra $100 because of the solar recharging, when that feature might save you $5 over the course of a year from wall jack recharging. And that's assuming you always charge from the sun.

Nah, that's not worth it.

Now, the waterproofing part, that's interesting...

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Its not the idea that cell phone, water proofing or solar charging hasn't existed prior. Its that a company blended into a small form factor without involving accessories that need to be carried around or cases that need to be applied which often hamper the original function.

Doing this makes it far more likely to actually be used.

The simple point that they achieved an efficient enough standby mode that it gains battery power while on in the sun despite such a small amount of surface available is impressive.

Of course...if its other characteristics are not up to par or its price is massive, or if the solar cell array has a short lifespan/low durability then everything becomes moot. Still its a nice step in a good direction.

Would make sense to get a clear pocket that clips to belt, brief, backpack, armband etc. to keep it in the sun when out and about thus maximizing exposure I would imagine.

G

I love solar powered toys!

Kind of reminds me of my camping flashlight that allows me to wind it up to charge the internal battery. No need for ext. power.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I think there's a lot of merit for this. There's been times where I just wished I could have just a little more juice for my phone because I forgot to charge my phone and left the charger at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.