Java Safe Or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmaruniversal

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
I got wondering. Is java a virus and it came up with a lot of questions asking if java is safe or a virus. I picked some questions and i got a mix of yes its a security problem and small amount of no. So my question is. Is downloading java a virus or security problem? I need java to run a minecraft server but im spooked by this information.

Solution
Whoever told you Java is a virus is retarded. Minecraft was coded in java, and it requires the Java runtime to be able to play. I'm pretty sure Minecraft now downloads it for you, but If you need to download it manually just make sure you get the x64 version of the latest release.

MnMWizard

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
Whoever told you Java is a virus is retarded. Minecraft was coded in java, and it requires the Java runtime to be able to play. I'm pretty sure Minecraft now downloads it for you, but If you need to download it manually just make sure you get the x64 version of the latest release.

Solution

mrmaruniversal

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016

I agree but if you do look on java.com at the top it does say something about java but i also had java on all my machines for years and i never had a security problem. Minecraft can be downloaded and run without java now but it always has ran with java. And actually seems to run a bit better if you have it installed currently.

MnMWizard

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
"if you do look on java.com at the top it does say something about java", what does that even mean?

If you think It runs better with Java installed already that's a placebo. It uses the runtime it downloads whether you have it already or not, the only reason you would need to download it is for running a server. Are you going to be running a server?

MnMWizard

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
If you mean me personally, I have it both on my gaming computer and my server computer that I used to use for a modded minecraft server. Java is not a virus. Also if you need help with the server just ask.

mrmaruniversal

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016

Ok thank you for your perspective. i had java for a long time. I dont know if people are crazy about websites making viruses with java for people to get on there website thats a malware or something. I yes also have it on my server computers and my gaming computer. Just hearing the intire java things is like wtf XD

mrmaruniversal

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016

So you have it currently on your machine(s)?

randomizer

Distinguished

Java has security holes just like any software. They get patched and updates are released. However, it's the Java browser plugins that are the primary target, not the Java runtime that you'll be needing.

If you want to run a Minecraft server you need Java. There is no question of whether you should have it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.