JBL MRX515 speaker blown? No high end bass or treble

Asa Fortney

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
Hey guys, to be honest I don't know much about speakers, just recently learning about everything. I came across a set of 2 JBL MRX515 (500 series) speakers that I bought at a local auction house, and I am pretty sure they are not working correctly.

Symptoms -
No treble at all, its impossible to get anything remotely crisp or clear out of them.
no deep bass either, the skrillex base drop had no punch.
So, I'm only getting mid level sound.

No popping sounds, irregular sounds, just mide level..ect (same problem on both speakers)

I tried connecting them to a front speaker on a yamaha stereo system (just a traditional one, connected like a regular speaker and only received mid level sound

Connected with a GLI pro GA-90 power amplifier 340 watts per channel and also only got mid level sound.

Any suggestions?

Solution
Hi
Could be a blown crossover ,could have happened to both by being severely overdriven.
Try removing the wire from the crossover to the 15" speaker and connect an amp direct to the speaker,note that the speaker will need to be still installed in the cabinet or you will get poor bass and mid even with a perfect unit.
Do not connect an amp direct to the tweeter unless you have a signal generator set to a high frequency as low frequencies can kill tweeters.

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
Could be a blown crossover ,could have happened to both by being severely overdriven.
Try removing the wire from the crossover to the 15" speaker and connect an amp direct to the speaker,note that the speaker will need to be still installed in the cabinet or you will get poor bass and mid even with a perfect unit.
Do not connect an amp direct to the tweeter unless you have a signal generator set to a high frequency as low frequencies can kill tweeters.

Solution