Judge: Google Wi-Fi Snooping ''Not An Accident''

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Let the fanatic google doomsayers begin.

be warned...to follow this comment will be over reaction comments of google is an evil overlord, they are taking over the world, and they are stealing your babies to search index them..
so quick jump on the "I hate google TOO!" bandwagon with the others.

candrwhite

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]dxwarlock[/nom]Let the fanatic google doomsayers begin.be warned...to follow this comment will be over reaction comments of google is an evil overlord, they are taking over the world, and they are stealing your babies to search index them..so quick jump on the "I hate google TOO!" bandwagon with the others.[/citation]

Or... we could jump on the Defend Google at all costs bandwagon. Then preempt the Google haters by telling them that if the hate Google, they must be nuts. That'll Work!

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
[citation][nom]candrwhite[/nom]Or... we could jump on the Defend Google at all costs bandwagon. Then preempt the Google haters by telling them that if the hate Google, they must be nuts. That'll Work![/citation]
or we can jump on the "belittle those that belittle the over the top naysayers, all crying google is bringing the 2012 destruction of the world" bandwagon.
Hi pot, I'm kettle, lets have lunch..we have much on common.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
and im not defending them..its a lawyer, hes going to find whatever needle in a haystack he can to gain facetime and profit.
"google tried to patent something that vaguely has to do with the google car, and what it gathers..so it MUST mean the wifi snooping was a lie"

sure find in that patent where it says that it has anything to do with the wifi itself, and Ill agree with him.

otherwise its like saying "the man that discovered and patented AC voltage later accidentally shocked an employee during a test..so of COURSE thats why he made it..to try to kill that man in a long drawn out plot against him"

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
This is retarded. What is google going to do with 2 seconds of network traffic collected as they pass by houses that have open networks in their Google Street View cars?

djcoolmasterx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
I'm just going to the point where I state that every post before me is stupid and they are all wrong even if they agree with me while pushing my own very flawed argument using ignorant circular logic that I will be too stubborn to change.

I am also going to get Godwin's law out of the way and mention the Nazis.

After this I will proceed to thumb down everyone else's post to make mine look better.

Here goes:

Google are becoming the Nazis of the internet and will take over the world using your personal data and set up death camps for bing and yahoo users.

CoderDunn

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
[citation][nom]CoderDunn[/nom]I wouldn't call non-secured wi-fi "private" ...[/citation]
Not that I'm sticking up for google, but people need to learn how to set up security on their routers.

djtronika

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
just imagine if apple did this. i love how people defend their "fans" for stealing traffic. stolen traffic is stolen traffic. please do NOT ask "what are they going to do with 2 seconds of stolen data?"

G

While it's good that things are being investigated I'm inclined to believe it's far more likely the government wants their own hands on the data and/or Google's money than any real concern for personal liberties.

After all siphoning data from open networks is hardly a big deal, all of us can do that at will.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
[citation][nom]djtronika[/nom]just imagine if apple did this. i love how people defend their "fans" for stealing traffic. stolen traffic is stolen traffic. please do NOT ask "what are they going to do with 2 seconds of stolen data?"[/citation]

now if they was war hacking..blame/fine the crap out of them.

going around doing what anyone with a wifi phone can do (and usually do by accident when its on) by listing who has wifi near them while its on...how is this a crime?
if thats the case 90% of the people in an apt building are guilty to..as each time they boot up, they can see the other peoples signals they are beaming to the world.

djtronika

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]dxwarlock[/nom]now if they was war hacking..blame/fine the crap out of them.going around doing what anyone with a wifi phone can do (and usually do by accident when its on) by listing who has wifi near them while its on...how is this a crime? if thats the case 90% of the people in an apt building are guilty to..as each time they boot up, they can see the other peoples signals they are beaming to the world.[/citation]

dude, google "collected" "3 years" of "data" because of a "software error"? my ass.

if you're not pissed because of this then you're just another pawn.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]dxwarlock[/nom]Let the fanatic google doomsayers begin.be warned...to follow this comment will be over reaction comments of google is an evil overlord, they are taking over the world, and they are stealing your babies to search index them..so quick jump on the "I hate google TOO!" bandwagon with the others.[/citation]

I for one welcome our new Google overlords...

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
[citation][nom]klavis[/nom]Just because it's not secure it doesn't make it right. If I leave my door open and while I'm gone some one steals all my stuff out of the house, it's still illegal. I'm idiotic for leaving the door open, but that doesn't make what the other person did legal, or in any sense of the meaning, right to have done so.[/citation]

not a good comparision...google is looking in your door going "wow nice TV, and walking off" and people are pissed that they looked thru the open door.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
[citation][nom]CoderDunn[/nom]I wouldn't call non-secured wi-fi "private" ...[/citation]
Just because it's not secure it doesn't make it right. If I leave my door open and while I'm gone some one steals all my stuff out of the house, it's still illegal. I'm idiotic for leaving the door open, but that doesn't make what the other person did legal, or in any sense of the meaning, right to have done so.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
[citation][nom]djtronika[/nom]dude, google "collected" "3 years" of "data" because of a "software error"? my ass.if you're not pissed because of this then you're just another pawn.[/citation]
no..not pissed.

error or not. I'm not worried about.
they could come out and say "we was collecting data on unsecured open wifi, proud of it, and will continue"..no big deal to me.

I managed to spend the 20 seconds it takes to add a security key to my router when I got it.
and if I didnt and forgot, and it was listed on google maps as "FREE WIFI" I would only blame myself for being dumb enough to leave it open to any random person within range to connect to.

so everyone is saying its googles fault that "ma and pa jones" got a wireless router without knowing how to set it up, what it really does...or that it sends signals farther than their front porch?
someone gets shot, they don't blame smith and wesson for making the gun..they blame the person that didn't know how to use it and bought it.(and rightly so)
but here..its someone else's fault other than the owner that didn't know how to use it when they bought it..

michaelzehr

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
I'm more concerned about why the governments are wanting to see it (rather than ordering that it be destroyed immediately). Google doesn't care what you do online as long as they can market ads to you... governments, on the other hand, sometimes do care what you do online.

Status
Not open for further replies.