kaspersky internet security won't download update

not2smart

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
So i've just built a new computer and have installed kaspersky internet security, but when i try to do a database update it goes to 2% complete and doesn't go any further. I've tried looking for an answer, but i can't find one, so hopefully someone here knows what is happening?

The first time a tried to do it, it came up with a message saying that there was a bad image in the win32.dll or something. I thought it might be conflicting with AVG free, so i removed that and tried to do it again, but it goes no further than %2

Should i just forget about kaspersky and get Norton or one of the free internet security programs?

Thanks

Solution
You should ask help from customer service.

I had a similar problem. They told me to write http://38.117.98.202/ in update source page in menu. I did and it seems fine now. Your problem could be something else though. and yes, you shouldn't use two internet security software at the same time. It's agood thing you removed AVG.

I wouldn't advice you to use Norton or any free internet security software.

Kursun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
You should ask help from customer service.

I had a similar problem. They told me to write http://38.117.98.202/ in update source page in menu. I did and it seems fine now. Your problem could be something else though. and yes, you shouldn't use two internet security software at the same time. It's agood thing you removed AVG.

I wouldn't advice you to use Norton or any free internet security software.

Solution

not2smart

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013

Ringing customer service is probably the best idea, but i don't think im going to bother, too much hassle for a $10 antivirus. I'll just use Avast and Comodo for now.

Kursun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
The choice is yours... Depends on how valuable your data is...
Kaspersky is nowadays the best internet security software on the market.
You will be taking chances with inferior software.
BTW I never use antivirus. I use complete internet security system. Antivirus alone is not safe.

DeathClutch

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
Unless I am some sort of kaspersky fanboy I will never be too inclined to the idea of using Kaspersky over Norton. All these high percentage malware and virus detection rate is a marketing gimmick to sell the software. Know that you will most likely never even encounter most of these so-called threats, reality is that a computer can do just fine without any antivirus installed in the system unless you are some sleazy pervert who likes to surf a lot of adult streaming websites or risky websites to download cracks, patches, sql injections for hacking and what not. Even then, reality is Norton is just as good if not any superior to Kaspersky and quite honestly I would blindly trust Norton Security, McAfee, Trend Micro, F-Secure kind of more established organisation over some 3rd party so called internet security suit bullshit like Kaspersky, Avast, Eset or BitDefender garbage etc. And just for the record I have used both Norton and Kaspersky and this whole high resource utilization thing about Norton is an utter nonsense since I have hardly noticed any difference with the performance from start up to the running of multiple process smoothly. As a matter of fact as time passed after the installation of Kaspersky, it started to take a toll on my ram usage but Norton remained constant with it's good performance so eat your own words and do some research on your own before you jump on the band wagon of these marketing gimmicks fanboy.

Kursun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
I do need a qood internet security software as I do internet banking all the time and do a lot of downloading too. I do not ever use the computer for gaming purposes. My disks contain valuable data, at least to me...

-" Know that you will most likely never even encounter most of these so-called threats..." Well, that's what you think...

Norton is a thing of the past. I won't ever consider Symantec for my purposes.
Norton goes beyond the call of duty and tries to erase any file with a suspicious name. It is a stupid software.

I am not much too keen about Kaspersky either. I think I may try Trend Micro or some other software once my licence expires in 382 days. :)

DeathClutch

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
As far as the comment goes that Norton detects suspicious files and erase threats, isn't erasing threats the job of an antivirus? But if I ever came across an issue where the file was quarantined, norton always provided with a restore option, so I don't see any harm done. What I like to do is that I add a particular folder like my download folder or the folder where I am using a crack file to the exclusion rule be it any security suite that I use. Though most of the crack or patch never get false positives by Norton from what I have experienced yet you tell that by never using any of their recent products.

I have seen most of the multinational corp and govt. sect using Trend Micro for protection while I was working there. It is a good product if you want to use it. Unless you are planing to get security for a big intranet setup for your routers and networks to save access to some govt. confidential information, I doubt the effort you are putting into your thoughts for high level security should be of that much concern. You are a home user and yes, you do internet banking like thousands of people, hence banking transactions are made in an https secure page where your credentials are accepted in an encrypted authentication process. The bank site gives you a different number every time. This is done with the help of a random number generator which will give you random numbers for input. However, it is not really random at all if you know the formula and only the 'creator' knows the number. The device has a clock that changes to the next number at known time intervals. If you didn't type the number in fast enough, the website would deny access expecting the next number. It is possible to get out of sync and you would need to call into support to get sync'd again. And IF which is a big IF someone did get to guess your device number, they would still need your password, pin etc. Although I don't think there is anything wrong with taking precaution but I do think you give Norton far less credit for what its capable by listening to the bs talks of these fanboys. And as for keeping your valuable data safe, I would consider using a secondary external storage if I were you.

FALC0N

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Deathclutch calling everyone else a "fan boy" while he rambles on, and on, and on, and on, about Norton, multinational corporations, how all the tests are wrong, etc, etc. It was very entertaining. You should consider opening the first. "Internet security" based stand up comedy show.

Also, your favorites, Norton, trend micro, are also multinational corporations. Yet you act like they are the "little guy ". I think not.

Kursun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008

Thank you for your message.
Lately my Win 10 gives me a message that it has found a file named "SOFTWARE LICENSE SERIAL NOS" on my disks, presumably thinking it is a suspicious file it wants to report to Microsoft. BTW this file contains all my legal software and download server account serials. Being stupid is something like this, going beyond the call of duty and try to erase any file with a suspicious name.

The job of an antivirus is not deleting suspicious files. Have you seen a cop who shoots a man because he looked suspicious?

If you rename any file to "crack" or "patch" Norton deletes it. That is how stupid it was when I decided not to use it anymore.

I do backups periodically. I use Acronis TIH.
I also use Microsoft OneDrive for some of my documents (not as backup but for syncronization of laptop and desktop).

TRENDING THREADS