Kaspersky renewal versus free programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

unlikelysource11

Honorable
Mar 1, 2018
Hello

My Kaspersky service is coming up for renewal, and while it's worked as advertised, I reckon, I'm strangling pennies at this stage, and I'm wondering if going back to a combination of free programs like Avira, CCleaner, Malwarebytes, as I used previously, would be a rational option. If so, any recommendation for which to use and a good regimen for same would be appreciated.

Solution

Yes , solid choices!

punkncat

Proper
Apr 3, 2018
I am torn on 'pay for' AV solutions. I use one for my work machines and they verge on "too much" notification. I personally like Windows Defender along with a good ad block program. Either way, I find that catching a virus often has more to do with what you click on and what you know about the content than how good the program is.

I have had to reformat one of the work machines on a fairly regular, like have it ghosted, basis because the lady that runs that computer is just clueless about what to do with fake pop ups and links. It has a very reputable AV solution and she isn't set up as admin and it's still fairly regular like clockwork.

unlikelysource11

Honorable
Mar 1, 2018

I'm never used Bitdefender. I assume it's fairly idiotproof?

What would you recommend for frequency? As I recall, I ran CCleaner weekly, and Avira monthly. I'm not sure about Malwarebytes.

unlikelysource11

Honorable
Mar 1, 2018

Same with Bitdefender and CCleaner? What about full versus quick scans?

Any drawbacks to just running full scans weekly with all three, just to keep it simple?

unlikelysource11

Honorable
Mar 1, 2018

Okay, so the above with all three programs - Bitdefender, Malwarebytes and CCleaner?

(A finger to the nose will suffice. -g-)

unlikelysource11

Honorable
Mar 1, 2018

Much obliged, to you and all the other folks who responded.

Status
Not open for further replies.