koridoroff1

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017
Hi! So i have this laptop, ASUS RoG G750JW (link: https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G750JW/)
So i have had it for about 5 years, but have only recently starting to take care of it (clean it, cool it etc) and despite it being a very good laptop im noticing severe drops in efficiency. For example its overheating a lot, hard drive is sometimes disconnecting by itself and most importantly i cant play some of the games i have anymore. I bought overwatch on release and havent had any problems up until recently,running smoothly at about 40-60 fps on mid-settings, but now i get 10 fps at most on lowest possible with resolution scale. My question is should i sell the laptop and get myself a PC, or invest some money to repair it? Any help appreciated!

Solution
As implied by USAFRet you may have to face the grim fact that your ASUS has reached the end of the road - at least as a powerful gaming rig. A GTX 765M card was probably very attractive 5 years ago, but games are constantly 'upgrading' in terms of hardware requirements - as you found out with OverWatch.

If you like messing with hardware components, the good news is that the ASUS is very easy to work with. I can't say how much it would cost to remedy your current issues, but dusting off the system fan and putting on new thermal paste are steps nos 1 and 2.

But keep in mind that even if you manage to get the machine back in shape, it still uses a 700-series GPU and there's nothing you can do about that.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.
As implied by USAFRet you may have to face the grim fact that your ASUS has reached the end of the road - at least as a powerful gaming rig. A GTX 765M card was probably very attractive 5 years ago, but games are constantly 'upgrading' in terms of hardware requirements - as you found out with OverWatch.

If you like messing with hardware components, the good news is that the ASUS is very easy to work with. I can't say how much it would cost to remedy your current issues, but dusting off the system fan and putting on new thermal paste are steps nos 1 and 2.

But keep in mind that even if you manage to get the machine back in shape, it still uses a 700-series GPU and there's nothing you can do about that.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Solution