Keyboard and Touchpad completely not working (Toshiba C660)

Chris_Cy

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
I have a Toshiba C660 and when I start it couple a days ago keyboard was not responding at all , after few minutes touchpad the same. I have try it on curent Windows 7 and also on Ubuntu. They are not working also on startup. External keyboars and mouse working great. What I should do ? Thanks in advance !

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
If it under warranty still I'd be tempted to explore that avenue first. Most laptop keyboards just connect via a ribbon cable directly underneath the keys so possible that is as simple as that coming loose. Most keyboards are reasonably easy to get, you'll probably see a video or two on youtube.

Was just going to check for a video and noted that on a couple of Satellite models inc. the C660 there is a mention of keyboard problems fixable with a BIOS update. Might be relevant or not but if the symptoms sound familiar.

http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB1103370000R02.htm

Chris_Cy

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Thank you for your response. When I put back the ribbon that connects keyboard to motherboard a key was acting like it was pressed continuously and I managed to get in bios update the time and date and restore to default. touchpad is now working but yet keyboard not

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
The keyboard problem mentioned in the updated BIOS was to do with slow keyboard response, keys repeating etc. If you have a key that appear to be sticking I'd be careful with doing a full BIOS update with that keyboard connected (it only happened once to me, but a bad BIOS flash is not a nice feeling!).

I'd be tempted to look at the device manager in Windows to see if it says anything about the keyboard, to see that it is detected or if there is some message. If it isn't listed I'd be tempted to check the cable is in fully and locked down. At least with that laptop replacement keyboards seem to be widely available on Ebay and cheap too:)