Keyboard Died on Acer Aspire F5 573

Aug 20, 2018
My keyboard is totally unresponsive and it can't even get to the boot menu or BIOS. It also doesn't work within Ubuntu running off the DVD. Obviously this suggests physical damage, however, I find it odd that my system stopped booting to Windows a day later, which suggests that something else is awry, maybe the SSD is failing, boot file is corrupted, or a virus is at play.

1) Is it just a coincidence that the kb stopped working a day before the system stopped booting?

2) Does Acer use some sort of proprietary software/firmware that controls the built-in keyboard outside of Windows which may have become corrupted?

Details as follows:
After waking the computer up the keyboard stopped responding. I had engaged in suspicious activity in the days prior this (PowerISO installed unwanted Avast, which I uninstalled but did not restart as it recommended, and I downloaded and installed an untrusted torrent file :-O ). Windows Defender never noticed anything even after being briefly disabled by Avast.

I spent half a day going through the usual steps to try to fix it: uninstalled driver, reinstalled driver, a couple of repair procedures for when Avast potentially wrecks a system, several dozen restarts, and trying a dozen times unsuccessfully to get to restore points (including from safe mode) only to be told the restore attempt failed probably because anti-virus software is blocking access to a file (according to Windows).

I was about to move on to try a full system recovery when the system suddenly only booted to the repair manager. The repair manager is unable to find any users, and therefore, without access to an admin account, it has no options other than restart.

However, I can still access my files from Ubuntu (running on the DVD) and they seem intact. Thankfully I will be able to recover all of that. ;) However, the keyboard doesn't work under any circumstances.

So, to reiterate:

1) Is the keyboard physically wrecked or does Acer use some software/firmware to control it that could be damaged and therefore repaired?

2) Would welcome any advice as to how to restore my boot manager to get back to Windows without ordering OEM recovery discs and reinstalling.

Solution
A few restafrts might make it realise the System Administrator is active and should show the icon to login. I've never known taht to fail at that stage so I'm mystified.

When you saw the Command option, there are two other options offering reset or refresh. One promises it won't bin your files but frequently does, so use Ubuntu to take preccious files out to a USB drive.

If you can get the Command form back, run the command to actiuvate the Administfator again just in case then after that success message, type
shutdown /r
and hit the Enter key. That makes it restart instead of turning it off and back on.
Aug 20, 2018

Well... I could. I could also plug in my USB keyboard. But the problem now is that I can't even get into Windows, and the Recovery Manager has no options because it sees no user accounts.

Regardless, my research indicates that Acer kb's are no different than any other kb's. There's no special software/firmware that controls them outside of Windows, therefore it's definitely a hardware problem and the Windows boot/login problem that occurred shortly after is just a coincidence that likely arose because of my repeated desperate attempts to get to restore points.

That sucks because replacing a kb on an Aspire laptop (or any laptop) is a HUGE pain. I'm watching a Youtube tutorial now. Apparently you have to burn plastic pins with a soldering iron just to get the old kb out??? Wow. Might be in the market for a new laptop... :(

The Windows problem looks like a corrupted Profile. If you can see the StartUp Options, Command option, try that and at the prompt, type
net user Administrator /active:yes
then hit the Enter key.

Restart and if my guess has any value, you might see the System Administrator's icon so log into that account. It takes a while to set up a Desktop, etc. but if you can get in, create a new User Account at the Administrator level.

Copy all your files and paste them into the new Account's folders. In Control Panel, User Accounts, delete your account but NOT allowing deleting the files - just in case.

Aug 20, 2018

**** I just typed my response, clicked post, Tom took me to the login screen again, and it's all gone now.

Long story short, I'm finally at the command line using the Windows 10 ISO.

System repair seems to have failed.
System restore says I must enable protection.
Saga Lout, I tried your command and it said success, however, after restart it still goes straight to recovery manager and lists no accounts, hence no options.

Continuing to try other things. Welcome any suggestions.

A few restafrts might make it realise the System Administrator is active and should show the icon to login. I've never known taht to fail at that stage so I'm mystified.

When you saw the Command option, there are two other options offering reset or refresh. One promises it won't bin your files but frequently does, so use Ubuntu to take preccious files out to a USB drive.

If you can get the Command form back, run the command to actiuvate the Administfator again just in case then after that success message, type
shutdown /r
and hit the Enter key. That makes it restart instead of turning it off and back on.

Solution