Klausner Goes After Oracle Over Visual Voicemail Patent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
I see the day coming when technological advancement stops completely and there is nothing but HUGE court battles over who owns the patent to what.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]I see the day coming when technological advancement stops completely and there is nothing but HUGE court battles over who owns the patent to what.[/citation]
More then less, that day is already here... The 'system' is breaking progress...

G

This is so silly. The patent process worked here. If you don't think that having the ability to choose which voicemail to answer first is a significant advance then go back to the old way. Patents are still time limited. The inventor not a patent troll was the one who got paid. This sounds like the same carping about how you should be allowed to steal music because it is so easy and everyone is doing it. I don't think the large music companies are without fault, but I can certainly understand their anger at having their business model destroyed by intellectual theft. Tech advances are actually much faster and healthier than they were 20, 30 or 50 years ago. Just because you can imagine it now that it is the new standard does not reduce the efficiency and social benefit offered by its creators. There are problems with the patent system, but most of the people who are complaining about them are actually saying: Hey I like buying stolen software ideas. It saves me money and gives me the freedom to choose any software. Because you enjoy stealing and the benefits of stealing, doesn't make it right.

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
[citation][nom]iamptmmac[/nom]This is so silly. The patent process worked here. If you don't think that having the ability to choose which voicemail to answer first is a significant advance then go back to the old way. Patents are still time limited. The inventor not a patent troll was the one who got paid. This sounds like the same carping about how you should be allowed to steal music because it is so easy and everyone is doing it. I don't think the large music companies are without fault, but I can certainly understand their anger at having their business model destroyed by intellectual theft. Tech advances are actually much faster and healthier than they were 20, 30 or 50 years ago. Just because you can imagine it now that it is the new standard does not reduce the efficiency and social benefit offered by its creators. There are problems with the patent system, but most of the people who are complaining about them are actually saying: Hey I like buying stolen software ideas. It saves me money and gives me the freedom to choose any software. Because you enjoy stealing and the benefits of stealing, doesn't make it right.[/citation]

+10 :)

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]iamptmmac[/nom]This is so silly. The patent process worked here. If you don't think that having the ability to choose which voicemail to answer first is a significant advance then go back to the old way.[/citation]

Funny, I own a (PDA) Palm Pilot, I also own an iPhone. My P/P has never taken a single voicemail. I have listened to hundreds from my iPhone. I don't care that Klausner claims to have patented the idea first, when Apple was the first to bring an actual device to market.

Patents should be predicated on actually using them for things other than a kludge with which you beat people over the head with in court to get money.

E.g. A Patent's initial term should be 5 years, with which you have to build and market a device. If you fail to do this, then you should lose your patent, and the general market is free to use the technology. If you do build and market your device, then you could renew your patent another 5 years, after which it should expire. I think 10 years of exclusivity is more than enough to assure that a technology innovator gets paid.

That being said, I do find it hilarious that Apple was taken to court over a patent infringement suit and lost. Apple is one of the worst patent trolls out there.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
If this guy claims to have invented the PDA, then why not claim the entire market instead? The fact he isn't doing that suggests he's some troll.

G

The Klausner patents are totally invalid based on prior art. we have located multiple, well documented prior art examples that pre-date the Klausner filing date by almost a decade.

Walt Tetschner, tetschner@aol.com 978-266-1966

Status
Not open for further replies.