Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Speakers

bfcallan

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
I recently just picked up a klipsche promedia system for my computer set up. My parents had a similar version by energy and it sounded great so I thought I was going to get the same.

My question is, would it be worth just replacing the 3 " woofers and the 6.5" woofer with some Dayton Audio stuff. I don't need anything super loud, I just want it to sound good and clean. Currently I have a 6.5" Visaton Paper cone woofer that I had laying around in the sub. It doesn't fit but, its just sitting on the top with a bit of plastic around it to mesh with the cabinet. It sounds infinitely better, but there's still a bit of mushiness. I used to have a 10" Velodyne with a passive radiator, so i don't know if my perspective is thrown off.

My current sub: https://www.parts-express.com/visaton-w170s-4-65-woofer-with-treated-paper-cone-4-ohm--292-566?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

Solution
Hole you mean Port? Ported enclosures are tuned to the speakers so changing speakers brands is going to give you difference results. Here do a little reading and this will help you understand how Sealed vs Ported work.

https://www.eminence.com/sealed-vs-ported-enclosures/

Padding can help as well as a Baffle which is mostly used in Car installations. A Baffle helps tighten the response when a enclosure is to large or not tuned for the speaker.

You can actually get the Klipsch oem speaker for about the same cost as the Visaton on possible a little cheaper which eliminates the guess work since you don't know the enclosure size.

The 3 inch speakers should be less guess work you will just need to match the Wattage, the GRS 3FR-4 Full...

delaro

Distinguished
Try gluing batting " 2 layers" from a fabric store on the inside of the enclosure, that helps stop the mid range from reflecting and blurring out the sound quality. A cross over could help to but that is a bit more expensive and takes some playing around with to get the sound you want.

bfcallan

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

I actually just purchased 4 sheets of eggshell foam from Parts express so that works out. Also, the cabinet is actually empty in terms of insulation, and i didn't know that insulation actually had that much effect.

I have one more question for you,

Do you think filling the hole on the front with some foam, or something of the sorts would help at all?

delaro

Distinguished
Hole you mean Port? Ported enclosures are tuned to the speakers so changing speakers brands is going to give you difference results. Here do a little reading and this will help you understand how Sealed vs Ported work.

https://www.eminence.com/sealed-vs-ported-enclosures/

Padding can help as well as a Baffle which is mostly used in Car installations. A Baffle helps tighten the response when a enclosure is to large or not tuned for the speaker.

You can actually get the Klipsch oem speaker for about the same cost as the Visaton on possible a little cheaper which eliminates the guess work since you don't know the enclosure size.

The 3 inch speakers should be less guess work you will just need to match the Wattage, the GRS 3FR-4 Full Range 3" Speaker does a good job and should be fairly close to what is in that now. I've used them in projects before and they are quite good for the price.

Solution

bfcallan

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

Thank you