KRK Rokit 5 Studio Monitors Noise/Hissing Sound

hunterj

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
I recently received a pair of the KRK Rokit 5 Gen 3. They make no noise once they are turned on but once they begin playing music they make high pitched hissing and static noise. The noise continues even after I turn off the music. They are plugged into a separate power outlet. On the other outlet I have mt computer, router, printer, and modem plugged in. The studio monitors are hooked up via a 1/4 trs to 3.5 mm which plugs into my motherboard audio on the back of my PC. My motherboard is a Asus Crosshair Formula Z. Would purchasing a Scarlett 2i2 and running it through that be worth it???Any help would be appreciated.

l1ghtm4st3r

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
It's strange to have them not make any noise when they're first turned on.
I had a similar problem with my BX5 D2's, turns out the signal it was receiving from the power outlet was not clean enough.
I found the solution was to buy a ground loop isolator.
Interference must be coming from somewhere in your system as that's the most popular cause for hissing noises and so an isolator will take the signal, clean it up then deliver it to your speakers for them to use.
Give it a shot, let us know how it goes.

hunterj

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

Yea they also don't make noise if I plug the 3.5 mm direct into my iPhone. Might just go ahead and get an audio interface such as the Scarlett 2i2.

l1ghtm4st3r

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

Definitely sounds like a ground loop problem then. You wouldn't get anything from your iPhone as it's DC current so no hissing sounds or anything.

Not sure the Scarlett would actually solve your problem.
http://www.amazon.com/Raptor-GL15-Ground-Loop-Isolator/dp/B0009O19LQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420231467&sr=8-2&keywords=ground+loop+isolator
This is more along the lines of what I was thinking of.

I imagine you want to buy the 2i2 to be a recording device, but I don't think it's actually got a ground loop isolator to clean the signal. If anything, it will record just perfectly but your speakers will still play back sound with the hissing.

hunterj

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

Hmm alright man I will give it a try and let you know