Lag spikes on Steam games (ASUS G751JY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterGerbik

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
Just recently bought a new laptop and it works great, for the most part...

Except on almost every game I own, I have a random lag spike in which the framerate drops from a smooth and consistent 60FPS to 45-30. It lasts for only a split second, but for that moment, the screen freezes up and then goes back to normal. It's infuriating, and makes online shooters practically impossible to play (I don't think it's a connectivity issue; the problem persists in single player mode too). I uninstalled Norton alongside every piece of ASUS software accessible through the control panel. The problem lessened, but is still noticeable. The only thing I have noticed is it seems to only occur on Steam games. Not every single Steam game, but the ones that do this are all through Steam.

I'm at a loss here, guys. My temps are fine, my drivers are updated, I've tried lowering the graphics settings, and my hardware is more than enough to run anything I own. And besides these random spikes, everything else runs perfectly.

MisterGerbik

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015

Never considered that before. I'll change my power settings and report back on my findings.

[edit:] Didn't seem to help. :( I'm still seeing FPS drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.