Lap top running slow.

Hockeydad39

Estimable
Sep 19, 2014
I have an l Toshiba lap top it is a L655-S5117 Satelite, that came with Win 7 home premium. My son has been using it for his work in construction doing bids.

It has been running slow. I have a suspicion like there is another program running in the background, it also seems to be running slow when on the internet.

This weekend I ran the System readiness fix so I could install Win 7 SP1. I was able to install Sp1 after figuring out that the Readiness program had to be put in successfully first. I also updated the Internet browser from 7 to 11. I did try at one time and bought additional RAM for it from a vendor I had done business before, and said it would work in it. It wouldn't boot.

I suppose if I have to re-image I will lose SP-1 update if I use the original rescue boot.

I would appreciate any suggestions on what causes this machine to run very slow. I have had anti -virus and Microsoft anti virus on it also.

Can anyone suggest what programs to elect not to start when booting up. I am afraid to just jump in on that process in case I do something that the computer won't start.

This wouldn't necessarily be a Hard Drive issue?

It still runs slow, and it seems to not to open or close properly.

lifespill

Estimable
Oct 25, 2015
It could be a failing hdd,or a corrupted windows installation or the ram-cpu being used at 100%.

I see that your model has 370m which maybe be old,but decent enough for light use.

One thing you could to investigate what's holding your system,is to open task manager(ctrl+alt+delete then choose task manager)to monitor your cpu-ram-hdd usage,if anything of these specs is at 90-100% then that's the problem.

Also you can check your hdd's health with a program such as hdd sentinel.

Hockeydad39

Estimable
Sep 19, 2014
Thanks for reply. An associate I work with also mentioned the hard drive. But I appreciate the lead on the task manager. I will try that. It also seemed something was always running in the backround, because led was always lit.

I will follow up and let you know what I find. Thanks.