Solved! Lappy's Screen problem

michael_rodrigues

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I own an HP compaq 6720 for the past 3 yrs
the problem is since yesterday, if i plug in the power supply, the screen brightness goes low (as if on power saving mode), and when i plug it out (i.e. on battery) it brightens up.

The thing is the exact opposite should happen ( and use to occur earlier), since power saving mode comes into picture when it is on battery..

help
mike

Solution
Have you tried manually increasing/decreasing the brightness in each mode? Most laptops store a hardware profile for each situation (battery vs plugged in) but are not intelligent, i.e. they don't auto adjust to brighter when plugged in, it was just saved that way last (default).

A lot of laptops have a brightness control using Function+UP/DOWN Arrow
G

Check that nothing has changed in the power saving settings (in BIOS and Windows) though I can't visualise a power-save scenario which would cause the issue you mention.

More likely the power supply cube (or circuitry on-board) is on the fritz.

G

Obviously this is only speculation but I would be on the alert for other problems.

Meanwhile charge the battery when the computer's not in use and only use the computer on battery power -- with the power supply disconnected

michael_rodrigues

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
In fact, i have been using the laptop in the same manner as you mentioned for quiet some time now. I allow it to charge to full battery, and then use it on batttery till a charging is requried !!

Any ways, i'll keep a check on it's behavious for some days now, and check other settings (bios, power) as you mentioned!!

thephilly

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Have you tried manually increasing/decreasing the brightness in each mode? Most laptops store a hardware profile for each situation (battery vs plugged in) but are not intelligent, i.e. they don't auto adjust to brighter when plugged in, it was just saved that way last (default).

A lot of laptops have a brightness control using Function+UP/DOWN Arrow

Solution