Laptop automatically shutting off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maccam

Estimable
Jun 7, 2015
Recently I've been having this problem where my Laptop keeps shutting off randomly without notice. I've recently had the fan replaced as the old one wasn't working and ever since the old fans stopped working I've had the problem. Does anyone know any solutions or know why this is happening? Thankyou

Solution
It sounds to me like overheating, laptops will shutdown to protect the system. Check for dustbunnies between the fan and heatsink (where the air blows out) also check that there is nothing obstructing the airflow - ie using the laptop in a case / bag / bed or anything that might limit the air flowing out. If the laptop is very old, you might even want to check to replace the thermal compound that need to transfer the heat - over time this gets old an brittle, it does not do the job very well then.

SJEGambit

Estimable
Jun 8, 2015
It sounds to me like overheating, laptops will shutdown to protect the system. Check for dustbunnies between the fan and heatsink (where the air blows out) also check that there is nothing obstructing the airflow - ie using the laptop in a case / bag / bed or anything that might limit the air flowing out. If the laptop is very old, you might even want to check to replace the thermal compound that need to transfer the heat - over time this gets old an brittle, it does not do the job very well then.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.