Laptop BackLit Keyboard Not Working

homebrewdr

Estimable
Feb 19, 2015
I recently had to send in my 3 month old Cyberpower Fangbook III (hx6-100) for RMA and the motherboard was replaced. I get it back after a patient 6 week wait, and now the backlit keyboard is not working, and the actual surface of the keyboard has a small crack. (The laptop was also sent back extremely smudgy and dirty).

Not company bashing, but I've been extremely frustrated with them thusfar.

Nonetheless, I suspect the keyboard isn't plugged in? I feel comfortable venturing in myself, but just want to know what to look for. Any help appreciated.

Hi,

Your theory might be correct that the actual cable for the keyboard back light was not plugged in but have you check the keyboard settings for anything that could turn it on/off? According to some forums about your Fangbook III there should be a small button that you can toggle to turn the back light on/off and it's normally located on top of your keyboard. If i'm not mistaken there's G1, G2 and G3 and G2 should be the one to press to turn the back light on/off.

homebrewdr

Estimable
Feb 19, 2015
Yes the G2 key turns on/off the trackpad lighting but not the keyboard itself... it used to but not now since its not working. The G keys are not lit up either. There is no software that controls it on the computer. I went to go investigate further actually, and I'm not sure what to do now because of safety. This particular laptop has a built in battery, with a switch that is supposed to turn the battery on and off. That switch is not turning the battery on or off. I may have to wait for it to drain just to feel safe to open up the top and check for that ribbon.

Edit: The button was just stubborn, so I was able to safely poke around a little. I think the entire top needs to come off to access the ribbon plugs. It isn't as intuitive as a Dell that I have. I think I'll bring it into a shop. Should be an easy fix.