Laptop battery plugged in not charging + removing the charger makes the lap top turn off

YazanSbeih

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Good evening ,
I have an HP pro book G1 450 , and two days earlier i was shocked that when i remove the charger my lap top shut downs completely even though my battery is full i thought that my battery is dead and i had to replace it but i run HP battery Diagnostic and it showed me that the battery is still working i tried uninstalling driver which might led my battery icon saying plugged in not charging , plz help me as i am so lost .. i have a windows 8.1

Solution
It sounds like your battery is not charging and may be going/dying (although it may say it is ok) or there could be a problem with the charging circuit.

Try the following, first, and see if it will charge after.

1. First make sure the device has been charged.
2. Unplug your charger cord.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Press and hold the "Power" button for 30 seconds and see if the device will turn on.
5. If it does, great, now plug back in the power/charger cord. (If it didn't turn on without the cord in, it should turn on once you it is in. Yes sometimes they will turn on, or try to turn on, even with nothing attached/plugged in.)
6. Now put the battery back in.

If it doesn't make a difference, then I would look at a new battery or the...
It sounds like your battery is not charging and may be going/dying (although it may say it is ok) or there could be a problem with the charging circuit.

Try the following, first, and see if it will charge after.

1. First make sure the device has been charged.
2. Unplug your charger cord.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Press and hold the "Power" button for 30 seconds and see if the device will turn on.
5. If it does, great, now plug back in the power/charger cord. (If it didn't turn on without the cord in, it should turn on once you it is in. Yes sometimes they will turn on, or try to turn on, even with nothing attached/plugged in.)
6. Now put the battery back in.

If it doesn't make a difference, then I would look at a new battery or the charging circuit (which is on the motherboard). If you feel comfortable opening it up yourself (and it isn't under warranty) then look to see if you see any burnt circuitry. If it is under warranty, then I would contact the manufacturer. If it isn't and you don't feel comfortable doing the work yourself, then I would contact a local tech or repair shop.

Solution

nhirsch

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Hope people find this. Asus battery not charging after upgrading to Windows 10. Tried all the power off stuff - didn't work. Tried new battery - didn't work. Tried resetting bios by removing battery of cmos and shorting leads - didn't work. Found that many of the old ASUS programs wouldn't uninstall. It's 2017 and there were many 2013, 2014, 2015 ASUS programs installed that I thought might be related around the battery so went thru them one by one and deleted them with the great microsoft program "MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta.diagcab" which was able to uninstall programs without having the prior version present in the original locations. Anyhow after uninstalling all the ASUS programs lo and behold the battery icon was back and the charging function working again.

Apr 11, 2018
Hi nhirsch, I have an ASUS laptop and I have the same problem of where removing the charger immediately turns off the laptop even though it's only been a month since I bought the laptop. Can you post the link where to download the great microsoft program? Could I manually delete the ASUS programs in the uninstall feature in control panel? If so, what specific programs do I need to delete? Thanks!