Question Laptop charger went pop but still works - is it safe to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2021
Hi, I bought a second charger for my Gigabyte work laptop as they are hefty and I work at home and office - it's a 180w generic charger.

After just a few weeks, while using it, it made a loud pop and gave out a bad smell. It blew the fuse at the wall socket and after changing the fuse it is working again, but am left wondering if it's safe or a fire hazard. I sometimes leave it with laptop on for long periods, while out of the house, etc. My teenage son also uses it for his laptop, so the idea of being disciplined and turning it off when not in use is not really an option!

Am having trouble getting a replacement from the supplier but not really sure where I stand as the charger is technically working.

Thanks for advice,
Alfie.

Deciplox

Great
Dec 8, 2020
Hi, I bought a second charger for my Gigabyte work laptop as they are hefty and I work at home and office - it's a 180w generic charger.

After just a few weeks, while using it, it made a loud pop and gave out a bad smell. It blew the fuse at the wall socket and after changing the fuse it is working again, but am left wondering if it's safe or a fire hazard. I sometimes leave it with laptop on for long periods, while out of the house, etc. My teenage son also uses it for his laptop, so the idea of being disciplined and turning it off when not in use is not really an option!

Am having trouble getting a replacement from the supplier but not really sure where I stand as the charger is technically working.

Thanks for advice,
Alfie.

Electrical faults are unpredictable - if your continuing to use this please ensure its not left running without you there.

Also very possible that the connection was loose? which created the pop noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.