Laptop Core speed drop when on charge

bobmanuk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Good Evening All,

I have a Lenovo Yoga 500-14ibd core i3 cpu @ 2GHz, 4gb ram 500gb ssd.

when not charging the CPU sits at 1995MHz, however, when plugged in the speed drops to 500MHz, this is unusable. Showing people, they dont believe that trying to watch a 720p video on youtube when plugged in is unwatchable.

I have sent the laptop back to Lenovo who have not been able to find any fault, so that would suggest to me that the laptop charger is at fault (it was not sent with the laptop on Lenovo's request)

I have linked the CPUZ results above, but not sure if its possible to get any other statistics about charging

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Open your "power plan settings" (assuming Windows 10?).
Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings

Either at that screen, or under the "change advanced power settings" tab, you can specify the differences between on battery and plugged in.,

Sounds like on battery you have either "balanced" or "high performance" modes set, with "power saver" enabled while charging.

If anything, those settings are reversed (power saver makes some sense on battery, but even then it's tough to find a use case)

bobmanuk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
if im honest this happens in ANY operating system, Linux, windows, Android... etc etc but you are correct right now i am running windows 10 pro

screenshots of the power options, which havent been touched since windows was installed.... on thursday/friday just gone.

also probably worth noting, the bios is as "up to date" as i can get it, using Lenovo website. and this has been the case pretty much since soon after it was purchased, about 6 months now

Hmmmm, well that is interesting.

With it dropping so low (2Ghz is the base)..... I'd suspect thermal throttling - perhaps Lenovo's testing method does not align with how you're using the laptop? Does this occur when using it on a solid surface? Your lap? Blankets etc?

Are you monitoring temps at all? If not, a program like HWMonitor would be useful. Keep an eye on the max package temps for the CPU.

bobmanuk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
unlikely, as this happens all the time, in fact i just turned it on after being off all night and the same results occur.

but in case you are interested:

also left afterburner running to show idle temps up to about half an hour. both plugged in and unplugged, no difference.

uGi98Gj.png

bobmanuk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

changing the speed does nothing, the cpu speed is still pegged just below 500mhz.

I have checked the bios, unfortunately no, there are no options to modify the power options.

bobmanuk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

This is a tough one as the battery is internal, but i did test it and it made no difference.

that bring said, i no longer have the laptop so i cannot try anything else to fix it. sorry

bobmanuk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
i did suspect that the problem was with the power adapter but at almost 100 euro for a new power adapter i couldnt afford to test it. I did send the whole unit back to Lenovo to be tested and they could not find any fault, as i didnt send the charger with it, this is the only reason i can think of. still not my problem anymore. thanks anyway