Laptop cpu overheats GPU is ok

BisdakIKobe

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
so I have an Asus X54HR laptop and it started overheating like 2 months ago and I have tried everything cleaning it up changing thermal paste with less with more paste with more less pressure on the screws of the heatsink because maybe they are too tight or too loose basically changed the paste around 10 times already and this just happened out of nowhere my GPU has perfect temps but the CPU is crazy as soon as the cpu kicks in to do a task it heats up when its idle temps drop I have no Idea please help I can post screenshots or a video of the problem

Solution
An issue that plagued many Dell laptops is that sometimes the part of BIOS that's in charge of CPU voltage just craps its pants and then CPU voltage is all over the place. I have no proof that this affects Asus laptops as well, but I'd like to rule it out as a possibility.

Please download HWInfo and keep an eye on Vcore as you use the laptop.

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015

Sounds like something isn't making proper contact.

Even though you're sure that your heatsink is intact, can you make sure that the heatpipe is properly attached to the part that meets the CPU? Sometimes that connection gets a little loose after the assembly has been removed and put back on several times.

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015

You mean even if it's making proper contact on both ends and hasn't sustained clearly visible damage?

Hmm, I've not heard of this. I'll have to do some research.

Yes. I've replaced 2 in my lifetime for folks, so quite rare. There was no obvious damage to either, but somehow the fluid inside either evaporated, or escaped.

BisdakIKobe

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016

well it seems ok to me doesnt seem to be any problems

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
An issue that plagued many Dell laptops is that sometimes the part of BIOS that's in charge of CPU voltage just craps its pants and then CPU voltage is all over the place. I have no proof that this affects Asus laptops as well, but I'd like to rule it out as a possibility.

Please download HWInfo and keep an eye on Vcore as you use the laptop.

Solution

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015

I can't help you there. Laptop GPUs are not my niche. If you took my advice on that, you'd probably end up making the problem worse :lol:

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
That being said, this thread is quite old. There were only 3 of us following it (except for you BisdakIKobe). Of those 3, one has no idea what to do (me), one is a moderator and would be busy with other things, and I haven't ran into 1shado1 in quite awhile. I don't know if he even still gets on or not.

Please start a new thread for help with your GPU :)

BisdakIKobe

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016

yea I did I had the CPU problem fixed as I said it was a micro scratch on the cooler it was all ok until 2 days ago when I reinstalled windows :p
um and i dont know if I should be closing the thread or if u can just do it instead