Feb 11, 2018
I have 4005U cpu and I found on ebay i7 and it has same socket as my i3 (bga and random numbers I dont
remember) can I replace it somehow?
I found that it is possible to replace BGA socket CPU, but it is hard.

Solution
robert600's statement is not correct. If you're comfortable taking apart a laptop, it's not hard. The bigger issue in this case, is the thermals/heat dissipation of your laptop. If the laptop was designed and sold with different CPU options, you can swap out one CPU for another that was on the approved option list. If you put in a CPU that runs hotter than what the laptop was designed for, it will overheat and fail eventually.

robert600

Distinguished

Sorry to say but 'Hard' is an understatement - much closer to impossible.

Scottray

Respectable
Jul 14, 2016
robert600's statement is not correct. If you're comfortable taking apart a laptop, it's not hard. The bigger issue in this case, is the thermals/heat dissipation of your laptop. If the laptop was designed and sold with different CPU options, you can swap out one CPU for another that was on the approved option list. If you put in a CPU that runs hotter than what the laptop was designed for, it will overheat and fail eventually.

Solution

Scottray

Respectable
Jul 14, 2016
robert600 - totally agree with you if the CPU is soldered to the motherboard. It's not user or PC repair center replaceable. I was responding to the statement that the original post said that the CPU was in a socket on the mobo. Then it leads to the configuration of the CPU, if it was a BGA or LGA packaged CPU.