Laptop CPU swap

Jun 5, 2018
Hello

I asked this question once already, but don't seem to find it, so I'll just have to repost, this time with less details.

I want to change a CPU on my Acer 5733Z (CPU is Pentium 6100 and Chipset is Intel Mobile HM55). Service manual indicates several options for a change, which are:
Pentium P6100, P6200, P6300
Core i3-370M and i3-380M.

I know that there are other processors (i5-460M for example) with same microarchitecture and all, so why can't I install that one instead of i3-370? Is there a chipset limitation or something?

Also, what are the risks? I'm not a beginner, I have experience with hardware (although it was years ago).

Any help is appreciated!

M.

Yes there could be issues with a CPU swap, the motherboard has to support it. I would stick with what is listed as compatible. Risks? You break the laptop while doing the upgrade and have a dead system.

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
In my experience with the earlier 1st/2nd/3rd gen laptops with socketed processors, if the chipset supports the processor you're trying to install, and it is within the TDP limits of the current processor (usually 35W), you should be fine swapping in an i5/i7 2-core processor within the same TDP range from the same generation.

Here are supported processors for that chipset:
https://ark.intel.com/products/43183/Mobile-Intel-HM55-Express-Chipset

The first gen processors make A LOT of heat, so I wouldn't try one of the 4-core ones on a cooler for a Pentium.

Laptops are a lot more touchy with what the BIOS will work with, you can't just go by the chipset or socket. Quite a few systems that technically should work with a CPU if you go by Intel specs, don't.

Jun 5, 2018
Thank you all, I guess I'll stick with i3-380 in that case, can't go wrong with it and performance will be substantially better for 5$. it is in official service manual so it should be fine.

If you don't have a solid state drive, that will make for a very noticeable change in performance. Likely better than a CPU swap unless you are doing media encoding.

Jun 5, 2018
I don't have an SSD and don't plan to change it, since they cost 6-7 times more than CPU + another stick of RAM and it's simply not worth it, all this laptop is busy with is social network and movies.