Laptop CPU upgrade?

chexmixwoohoo

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
Ok, I've already looked into this and no, the CPU (a mere Pentium B970) is not soldered into the motherboard. I even took it out, and re-applied thermal paste to make sure of it. But I do still have some questions before I go gungho with this "powerhouse DIY gaming laptop" gimmick. I plan on using an Intel i5-2540m, but I wanted to know first: Will this CPU run hot and will I need to look into finding a different fan and/or heatsink, or will it have slightly higher temps within a manageable reason. Does TDP make a difference? I noticed most G2 socket i7s run with a 45w TDP whilst others run at 35.

Note: This is something I WANT to do, not something I have to. It's something I want to do as a fun project, not as a "I NEED PERFORMANCE" kinda thing. I'm also looking into one of those mini-PCI express to full PCI-e for a full sized graphics card (a spare GTX 960 4gb I have lying around)

Answers would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Solution
You encountered the same power and heat issues with past laptops. Nothing has changed. You can also run into the bios not being compatible with the cpu like the past. You can try but it's at your own risk. Take a look at the power brick and your temps and you might be able to tell if it would be possible.

k1114

Distinguished
You encountered the same power and heat issues with past laptops. Nothing has changed. You can also run into the bios not being compatible with the cpu like the past. You can try but it's at your own risk. Take a look at the power brick and your temps and you might be able to tell if it would be possible.

Solution

chexmixwoohoo

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016

Thanks! I can't seem to find anything saying whether or not the BIOS is compatible with any other processors besides the B970, but hey, you'll never know unless you find out. I'll go on ahead with this project and maybe post some updates and results next month.