laptop cpu upgrade

Kristijonas

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2013
Hello,

i have an hp 655 g1 laptop with a4-4300m(dual core) processor. The presence of a very weak cpu is very noticable as this laptop is laggy as hell even with clean windows 10 and an added SSD. I want to ask if i would be able to upgrade the cpu to a quad core a8-5550m
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-HP/ProBook_655_G1.html

As i understand the cpu isn't soldered and i should be capable to change cpu's?Will i have some kind of compatibility problems or overheating problems? I can get that cpu for 20euro.

Solution
Yes, the HP 655 G1 laptop can be upgraded to A8-5550M (AM5550DEC44HL) APU.
Be aware that the A8-5550M will generate more heat and could make fan a little louder.

punkncat

Proper
Apr 3, 2018
Look up the model number of the laptop you have an look to see if there were other proc options available to buy. Normally that is the safest route to determine compatibility.

punkncat

Proper
Apr 3, 2018
In a very quick look I didn't see any difference noted for power supply. All I saw were various options for proc, screen size, and the numerous HDD options, and batteries. If you wish to take some random guy on the internets word, I would say give it a try. Certainly cheaper than a new laptop...those A4 are pretty anemic.

I did this some years back with a Sempron to Athlon upgrade on a Dell and it worked out really well. YMMV

bignastyid

Splendid
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Kristijonas : "laptop cpu upgrade"