laptop cpu upgrade

p-Ma

Estimable
Mar 6, 2015
I want to put a Intel Core i5 i5-2430M * 2.4GHZ Socket G2 cpu or Intel Core i5-2540M in my asus x55a which currently has a Intelb980. The three have the same socket. is there any other factors? The i5 has considerably better performance and is cheap to find used. Can/should i do it?
is there other compatibility issues i need to know about. Motherboard comparability/heat issues?

Solution
There could be power and heat issues, but the real problem is removing the old cpu. Normally laptop cpus are soldered onto the motherboard which makes the cpu stay there permanently.

Lemarsghast

Estimable
Dec 2, 2014
There could be power and heat issues, but the real problem is removing the old cpu. Normally laptop cpus are soldered onto the motherboard which makes the cpu stay there permanently.

Solution

learningbitbybit

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015
You will need to contact ASUS about that one to be on the safe side. But like Lemarsghast has said, CPUs are smothered in the motherboard of a laptop so it could be more than likely that you won't be able to upgrade that CPU.

p-Ma

Estimable
Mar 6, 2015

All the info i cold find on my specific laptop said that this particular cpu is not soldered in, however i did come across info that said the bios might not support the upgrade even if the cpu fits. how can i tell if the bios will support it?

p-Ma

Estimable
Mar 6, 2015

Thanks! i'll dig a little deeper but it sounds like a long shot whether i'll be able to do it.

learningbitbybit

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015

It is, but there's no wrong in trying it. Just remember to contact ASUS about your model before trying anything. Cheers :)

TRENDING THREADS