Laptop Cutting off when under graphic stress

00sid

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016
Hi there i have a Toshiba Satellite specs are as follows

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
System Model: Satellite L750
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 03.60.452.50
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8174MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M
Display Memory: 4046 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1998 MB
Shared Memory: 2047 MB

it has been just cutting out while playing games, but more recently i cant even run the game for 2 minutes and it cuts like a power cut out, i can sit in windows and it may take several hours or even a day to do it otherwise, but even more lately it has been cutting out even watching a movie or something through the tv hdmi socket. So i took it in had it cleaned cause i was watching the temperatures through CPUID and while i was in the game all the cores and gpu was hitting 100degree celcius, so i assumed i was having heat issues, now runs at 50-60 but is worse now than ever at cutting, so i then put a new hdd in it 1tb thing still cutting, it seems to be some sort of power issue like everytime the graphics card needs to much power it just turns off the whole laptop getting a bit frustarted at this stage now on what to do this is my last ditch the shop couldnt seem to help me without paying too much than its really worth at this stage any ideas would be helpful

cheers
marcus

Solution
Have you tried to do a clean install of Windows?

I actually had an odd situation with my Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 which has a nVidia GT 550m. After about a year when I purchased it, the laptop would randomly crash whether or not I am playing a game. It even crashes when it is idling. Installing updated nVidia drivers had so effect. Even with a clean reinstall of Windows 7 using Lenovo recovery partition the laptop would eventually crash.

I partially solved the problem by uninstalling the nVidia drivers and simply using the Intel HD 3000. The Intel HD 3000 is not great for games, but I have a desktop for that.

I finally fixed the problem when on a whim I install Win 7 from the retail version of the disc that I purchased to be installed on...
Hi,

When you did open the laptop to clean it, did you also apply new thermal paste on the CPU and GPU as well? It would be best to apply new thermal paste onto your laptop specially if the problem is overheating. Once you've done applying the new thermal paste do also a clean install of the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Reboot the laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do set Nvidia as the default GPU as well.
- Here's how: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2615/~/how-do-i-customize-optimus-profiles-and-settings%3F

Hopefully this steps will help. :)

Have you tried to do a clean install of Windows?

I actually had an odd situation with my Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 which has a nVidia GT 550m. After about a year when I purchased it, the laptop would randomly crash whether or not I am playing a game. It even crashes when it is idling. Installing updated nVidia drivers had so effect. Even with a clean reinstall of Windows 7 using Lenovo recovery partition the laptop would eventually crash.

I partially solved the problem by uninstalling the nVidia drivers and simply using the Intel HD 3000. The Intel HD 3000 is not great for games, but I have a desktop for that.

I finally fixed the problem when on a whim I install Win 7 from the retail version of the disc that I purchased to be installed on my desktop. I use the Lenovo IdeaPad Y470's product to activate Win 7 on the laptop. Ever since then (back in summer 2014) I had no unexpected crashes whatsoever with the laptop.

Conclusion... somehow the laptop was unstable when using Lenovo's customized Windows 7 OS for the laptop.

Solution