Solved! Laptop display black flashing intervals laptop is on

Aug 18, 2018
So as stated in title when i start laptop the black screen will flash at several intervals and display wont light up. Laptop turns on I can hear usb connect and disconnect sounds and i can toggle caps lock too.

Although sometimes after removing battery and reinserting may start laptop.

I just did a reset on my laptop so I think its not an hardware issue.

My laptops model is Dell 5558
i5
8 GB ram
2 GB Videos memory Nvidia
1 TB hard disk

Ram, motherboard are completely fine after checking.

I am guessing that my displays inverter has some problem with it.
I just wanna confirm that before i start tinkering with it.

Solution
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Solution
Aug 18, 2018
Okay I tried connecting to the external display and when the screen is black it wont work. But I think that it doesn't matter because sometimes when I reseat the battery or rarely RAM its starts and goes to diagnostic and asks me to do repair or to continue to windows 10. Sometimes when I click continue to windows 10 it will restart and boot normally and sometimes won't.

Also when it's start and i close the lid and open it back again the screen won't come on sometimes so I have to press start+ctrl+shift+B in order to wake the screen up.

So from this i think that the display is not at fault here. Something that is responsible for waking display up is not doing its job.

If it was just a setting that isn't waking up the display I would not think the other things would have to be done (RAM, etc.) to get it working.

You can try checking the sleep settings in "Control Panel".. "Power Options"... "Change plan settings".. then "Change advanced power settings". Check all things there especially the sleep and hibernate settings.

Aug 18, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from nirajlonkar : "Laptop Display sometimes won't turn on"

Hello everyone

So I have been struggling to find a solution to this issue online for about 1-2 months now but didn't get any proper solution yet so decided to ask here.

Sometimes my laptop display won't turn on when starting the laptop so I used to do things like reseating RAM and CMOS battery and sometimes it would work and laptop would turn on normally. And I can do whatever I want to do on laptop play games and etc. Once the laptop is started it doesn't shut down on its own or something like that. It runs like how a normal system should work. So from this I suppose that my processor, motherboard and ram are fine.
Yesterday I tried to start the laptop and it started but display was blank. I know that laptop was on because I was able to toggle caps lock on and off and laptop made sounds on connecting and disconnecting usb. So I thought the gpu is fried but then I connected it to my TV with HDMI and the desktop was shown on TV and I was able to use it. So from that I knew that gpu isn't fried. I checked in the display attached to the laptop in settings and it didn't show the laptop display it only showed the TV to which it was connected.

I already tried to holding down power button with battery removed and ac source unplugged. That didn't work.

I would really appreciate if someone helps me with this cause this thing is making me crazy.

Now when the display doesn't turn on it just keeps on showing pixels on display lit up black and again turns off and again shows black and i today opened the display panel and found that there is no backlight in display panel.

And after reseating the cord which is used to connect display to laptop, laptop started and when I turned the laptop off again to check whether I have solved the issue or not the black screen started showing up.

Please someone if have any clue about what is happening please help.

Sorry for this long question but I had to give all the details.

Below are the model and specifications of my laptop

Dell Inspiron 5558
HDD - 1 TB
RAM - 8 GB
GPU - NVIDIA GEFORCE 920M
Processor - intel i5 5250